John,
        Yes and No. The filter roll is almost identical to a normal roll in
size and dimensions but you cannot use a standard toilet roll as these are
too  loosely wound and would cause channeling which would cause the filter
not to work properly. (Please remember fluids always choose the path of
least resistance.You may be able to obtain a filter roll off the shelf which
is identical. MIL-MAC have them made in Australia and I import them from
them. These are made from a combination of imported Canadian woodchip and
local Austrlian woodchip which includes a certain amount of Aussie hardwood
chip I believe. In the States they have toilet rolls which are supplied to
the hotel industry that will do the same job. Our standard toilet roll in NZ
is only 200 leaves and the 350 leaf ones dont work either as they are also
too loose. What you need is a 400 leaf one with a standard 1.5" (38mm) core
and 4 or 4.25" (approx 107mm) in width. This fits into a can which restrains
it and hold it in place. Cans are sealed top and bottom with a nitrile
rubber seal and the only way out for the oil is through the filter. You can
always check the filter is working after 5 minutes operating by placing your
hand on the filter casing. If its warm you know its working. MIL-MAC buy
them by the container or truck load to get the price right and I sell them
for NZ$2-50 which sure beats the approx $20 you pay here for a spin on
filter which dosnt work properly and is after all only really a screening
and protective device. You still leave these in place to do the job they
were designed for.
It amazes me that the Oil companies and Automobile manufacturers have got
away with this planned obsolescence built into virtually every engine made
in the last 100 years. Perhaps in the past up to the 70s and maybe early 80s
this may have been justifiable but in the last 15 or 20 years the knowledge
and ability to build better and longer lasting oils has certainly been there
and they have been made. It certainly makes far more sense to remove the
contaminants and wear particles as they are created  rather than to just
remove the extra large ones and leave the wear particles and contaminants to
circulate causing continuous wear. This is analgous to sandblasting. As I
say in my advertising literature Oil does not wear out, it justs becomes
contaminated. If you are removing the contaminants  just as fast as they are
created your oil will last almost indefinitely.
B.r.  David