Tom Reed of the Biomass Energy Foundation likes this book so much he
wants to give it away free to everybody involved in bioenergy. Good
idea! Anyway, no need to give it away, it's online.

Conquest of the Land Through 7,000 Years
By W.C. Lowdermilk. 1953.  USDA Agriculture Information Bulletin No. 99. 30 p.
http://soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/010119lowdermilk.usda/cls.html

http://www.nhq.nrcs.usda.gov/BCS/agecol/conquest.pdf   [PDF]

Lowdermilk was the Assistant Chief of the Soil Conservation Service.
This classic bulletin provides an historical account of civilization
and agriculture, and particularly, the destruction of fertile lands
through agricultural practices that result in soil erosion, gulleys,
deforestation, deserts, and wastelands.

This is his famed "Eleventh Commandment", first delivered in a talk
on soil conservation in Jerusalem in June 1939:

"Thou shalt inherit the Holy Earth as a faithful steward, conserving
its resources and productivity from generation to generation.

"Thou shalt safeguard thy fields from soil erosion, thy living waters
from drying up, thy forests from desolation, and protect thy hills
from overgrazing by thy herds, that thy descendants may have
abundance forever.

"If any shall fail in this stewardship of the land thy fruitful
fields shall become sterile stony ground and wasting gullies, and thy
descendants shall decrease and live in poverty or perish from off the
face of the earth."

To which one might add this:

Prayer

Let the rains come down upon
     the earth in time
let the earth bend down graciously with
     the produce of the land,
let the country be without scourge;
     let the learned be fearless.

Let the sonless have sons, let those who
     have sons have grandsons,
let the poor become rich, let all my people
     live for a hundred autumns.

O Lord, let all my people be happy
     and fulfilled.

        (from the Sanskrit)

Where today do we find rulers with such prayers? Sure, "democracy is
the worst possible system, except for all the others", but why should
we vote for any would-be leader who doesn't qualify on the above
grounds? How many of the elected governments really have a majority
mandate? Increasingly large numbers of people in many (most?) of the
western democracies don't vote. Is it really because they don't
care/are too dumb/too complacent? Maybe if you could vote "against",
many more would vote. Maybe one in a million elected officials would
support such a change. Maybe the other 999,999 should be fired.

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Tokyo