Yes, it is true that converting a starch such as corn grain does
yield a positive energy balance, but what you aren't taking into
account is how much energy the corn plant uses just to produce a
bushel of corn (the amount is astronomical)
  The result of the corn's growth requires more energy than you'll
get out of a couple gallons of ethanol, but since most, if not all of
that energy used is actually sunlight, I guess you could call corn
plants glorified solar panels, eh?

JEFF

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Harmon Seaver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>      I think the idea that biofuels cost more to produce than you
get has been
> pretty thoroughly debunked. Check the biofuels archives, check this
> http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol_energy.html for an article on
ethanol
> specifically.
>      BTW, Mike, could you please take the time to format your posts
when you
> quote others and put their words in the regular quote format? It's
really
> confusing trying to figure out who is saying what when you don't do
that.
> That's something that your mail reader should do for you
automatically if you
> have it set up right.

<snippage follows>