Hi Ed and All,
        Running a house 24/7 from a generator su--s.
 I tried for a few days and the generator drove me
crazy.
        The best way is to run everything from a
battery system charged from wind, solar, hydro or for
last resort a generator a few hrs a day.
       Almost all the household needs can be met with
12vdc. Any that can't can be run from an inverter.
       A good way to make a 12vdc refridgerator is to
make a top openning box or take a well insulated
regular fridge and turn it on it's back and put in a
12vdc boat conversion unit to cool it. I like to use
norcold 12vdc rv/boat fridges that the box has rusted
out, take the working parts out and install them into
the well insulated top loading box. I pick these
rusted fridges for $25 all the time at flea markets,
ect. That takes care of the most problematic load.
     12vdc lights, fans, stereos, tv's, pots and
pans,ect are availiable at RV and boat stores
everywhere.
    This kind of system will cost less in the long run
and be much easier to live with.
    I lived for 20 years on a sailboat with only 12vdc
without a problem, generated by wind and tidal/
sailing speed powered generators.
       While Real Goods does have some good stuff I
call them Real Pricy Goods now.
     For the original poster do you have any good
wind, hydro or solar potential at your site? If you do
I'd go for that.
     Ed's extra insulation trick really works. Put the
most on the bottom like 3", 2" on the sides and 1" on
the top will really decrease the time it runs and
power consumed.If building one from scratch put
another inch on the bottom and sides. Little cool
escapes the top. Urethane foam is twice as good as
styrofoam.
          Hope this helps,
               jerry dycus
--- "Neoteric Biofuels Inc. - E. Beggs"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Suggest adding lots of insulation around the
> standard (cheap) freezer.
> Locate in unheated outbuilding or garage so it does
> not have to run much in
> winter. Same space should have lots of insulation in
> summer. Reflective
> insulation and 2" stryofoam works well to add
> insulation to a freezer, BTW.
> On the outside. Worked well for the fridge on my
> boat, at least.
>
> Ed B.
> www.biofuels.ca

Monitoring Service trial