Hi Harmon and All,
         You can use 12vdc for most things and an
inverter for most of the rest with a biofuel ICE gen
as backup and for those really heavy things most of us
will never use.
         With the right 12vdc units the difference is
about nil.
         I've lived happily with 12vdc for 20 plus
years.
            jerry dycus

Monitoring Service trial
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Gi0tnD/bQ8CAA/ySSFAA/FGYolB/TM