I have a few web references and comments that interested waste oil
participants may want to look at regarding "homebrew" or other waste
oil burners.

Commercial waste oil burners are certainly available.  I'll leave
this to the search engines if anyone is in the market.  (A quick
inspection on my part indicates that the smaller "domestic sized"
(50K Btu/hr) Lanair machine that I would favor is no longer
available.  Lanair now seems to want to concentrate on
the "automotive" market.)

Steve Spence's site www.webconx.com is probably the best of
the "homebrew" sites.   Now not an active link at the Webconx site
but still available at http://www.webconx.com/oil_burner.htm  was
a "gut level" waste oil burning plan a la Dennis Park ceramic kiln
practice.   This methodology is/was a simple method whereby waste oil
is simply allowed to "drip" onto an inclined, heated plate or louver
exposed to the heat of the fire and is problematical in both it's
fire danger (what if the fire goes out?) and in starting up (which is
usually done with a wood or propane fire.)  Airflow/fuelflow could be
problematical as well.

Steve's webconx site references the classic Mother Earth News #5
article originally written for Popular Science Magazine at
www.webconx.com/2000/biofuel/multifuelburner.htm   This article
contains a couple of errors.  The MEN reference for the PS issue
should be January 1962 p. 78.  The vanes in the burner "throat"
should be placed at 45 degrees, a typo which shows in both the MEN
reprint AND the PS original article.  The original PS article shows a
detailed pix showing the vanes mounted at 45 degrees.)

This stove has a downside in that it is electrically powered by a
variable speed blower and air/fuel proportion is totally manual.  One
would be constantly trying to minimise airflow to enhance burning
efficiency and there would always be the question of too little or
too much air.  Also, what if the fire should for some reason somehow
go out.  Not a stove to be left "unattended."

Steve includes the classic Mother Earth News #53 article which is a
stove built from a discarded water heater at
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me4.ht
ml.  Similar to the MEN#5 plan, this plan is a rework of a Popular
Mechanics Magazine article from October 1941.  It's a nice plan in
that outside electrical power is not required.  Not necessarily a
stove to be left unattended but at least if your "supply reservoir"
is of less volume than the bottom of the heater up to the inspection
door, you won't have oil mess on the floor should the fire go
out.

The plan suffers a bit from the same airflow/fuelflow problems as the
others.   A person I have talked to who uses this stove is
incorporating a device to heat his oil to a constant temperature to
control drip flowrate and claims no need for draft adjustment.  While
I initially had my doubts about "clean burning" this same person
reports that the stove burns "odor and smoke free" when it is hot and
burning at a constant rate.  He reports some problems with the stove
going out when the oil flow is at low flow rates.

I myself have this stove under construction currently and while it
isn't a "hot" project (literally) I will eventually get it done and
give it a try.  I'm trying to anticipate problems with the design
(such as the supply reservoir issue) and incorporate some
improvements which I'll eventually report back on.

Steve's reference to the "Babington Burner" at
www.webconx.com/2000/biofuel/babington/default.htm  are interesting
and a design methodology I might eventually try.  It does suffer some
from the airflow/oilflow syndrome as all of these do but I can see
that using a commercial burner/blower and maintaining a constant
oilflow/compressed air pressure, this design might be brought
to "consistant, repeatable" performance.  Still not a burner you
would want to walk away from and leave unattended.

There are some other "homebrew plans" available on the `net for those
willing to pay some money.

Seyroche has plans at http://www.seyroche.com/products/wasteoil.htm
which look interesting.  At only $8, I might want to try there
first.  No details are shown, however, and it might be a plan which
is already in the "common domain."  .

Three more plans are available for $15 at
http://www.autodidactics.com/energy.htm  From the little sketch they
include I can surmise that at least two of these plans (and possibly
all three) are the first three plans I have included on this list and
can be had for nada from Webconx.  Caviet Emptor.

For $15 you too can have plans from
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~alterpla/altenrg4.htm or if you're more
than willing to fork over $16.95 for the same thing see
www.australiatrade.com.au/Alternative/Energy/catalogue.htm#WASTE OIL
WORKSHOP HEATER AND FORGE   Both of these seem to be an "unauthorised
copy" of the "Cyberport" plans I'll cite in a minute.

For those who might want to spend their money on something with a
little more "assurance"  of a viable product you can spend $29 (with
shipping & handling) and get plans from www.wasteoilstove.com.  The
writer/inventor of this plan has little good to say about the Mother
Earth News #53 plans.  Compressed air is not required for the stove
burner but electricity to drive the blower is.  I suspect this is a
blower "forced draft" improved version of the MEN#53 plan.

The plans shown at http://www.web4.net/~tcdyck/ are $50 American (the
originator is in Canada) and convert a standard hot air or hot water
furnace to burn waste oil.  He reports that compressed air is
required and of course electricity to drive the blowers is also.  He
reports that he uses a unique "agricultural" atomizer" in the burner
and heats his house and shops using the device and has done so for
many years.  The furnace reports to be "fully automatic" and
controlled by a thermostat.  I got very close to spending my hard
earned money for this plan.

The plans shown at http://www.cyberport.net/russ/benjamin are also
$50 and are here in the USA.  A good solid plan that has been around
for a while.  However, totally manual in it's operation and
function.   A recent seller on Ebay had a completed "Cyberport"
burner for sale and in true seller enthusiasm reported that it
worked "great."  I think it sold for above $80 complete which was
probably the cost of the plan and the parts to make it.  Yes, some
people who bid on Ebay have some sense.

For those wishing to spend more we have at nearly $1800 for a
complete barrel kit or about $545 for the controls only and a
detailed sketch at http://www.heco.net/Wasteoil.htm which by the time
you get to spending this amount you might as well have started at my
second paragraph and saved yourself a lot of reading and construction
time.  Like the wasteoilstove.com plans above, the plan seems to be a
blower forced draft augmented version of the MEN#53 stove

An unknown quantity which I have been trying to find out more
information about is a "sump oil" (i.e. crankcase oil) stove shown at
http://home.worldcom.ch/redi/sumpoil.html.  Compressed air or
electricity is not required I expect from it's application to
developing countries.  This stove was first shown in "Modern Stoves
for All" by the inventor/developer Waclaw Micuta in 1985 which is
currently published by Intermediate Technology Publications Ltd at 9
King Street in London.  The book is 87 pages and available from
Amazon.com for more than $20 PLUS shipping and I sensibly deferred my
order.  An email to Mr. Micuta at the REDI Institute received no
response.  This stove can be seen as the HV-1 and HV-2 stoves at
http://www.icrc.org/icrceng.nsf/4dc394db5b54f3fa4125673900241f2f/231fd
9d6c658b8f4412568e20032a0f1?OpenDocument which is quite a long web
address but the picture of a bunch of stoves under construction (yes,
they really made these stoves) is nice.  Considering the REDI group's
environmental "slant" I expect the design is a sound and nonpolluting
one.

Hope this helps everyone.

Best regards,
Joe