After settling my glycerin, I decided to wash and neutraliza it. I first used
vinegar, but noticed the pH level whent down very slowly, and I was rather
diluting the glyc with too much water from the vinegar "acetic acid solution".
So I reached for the HCl 35% (muriatic) acid.
pH started going upwards, say, 1 pH level per 2 ml (very roughly from what I
can recall). I was also heating to remove the excess methanol. We know that any
NaOH will react with vinegar (CH3COOH) to form CH3COONa (a salt) + water. with
HCl, the reaction forms table salt (NaCl) and water, and table salt wouldn«t
represent a problem if I were to use the glycerin as a soap... so:
I continued adding HCl, until suddenly the pH whent down drastically, sort of
as in a buffer effect.

This is quite possible, as a buffer solution isone which will tend to maintain
a certain pH for a given ammount of acid or base added. These can be made from
a) a weak acid and an ionic soluble salt of the weak acid, or b) a weak base
and a soluble ionic salt of the weak base. For example, CH3COOH (acetic acid)
and CH3COOH.

So I suddenly forced pH too low, but in the meantime, big flocks of something
like waxes or thick creamy greasy looking things started forming in the
mixture. When I finished the heating, and adding some NaOH solution to return
to pH 7, the remaining liquid was a mixture of glycerin and water below
(probably + soluble salts), and something atop which looked like very dark
brown biodiesel.Now, at room temp, there«s a mixture of liquid brown
"something", plus floating and submerged spots and bubbles and skimming
floating layers of other whiteish solid things (guk). Could these be esterified
FFA remains with longer chains that remail solid at room temp? How could this
be if supposedly FFA react FIRST with the catalyst, and then with the WVO, and
my yield for that batch seemed perfect?

Any ideas?

Regards,

Christian