Christian writes:

>So I suddenly forced pH too low, but in the meantime, big flocks of
>something like
>waxes or thick creamy greasy looking things started forming in the
>mixture. When
>I finished the heating, and adding some NaOH solution to return to
>pH 7, the remaining
>liquid was a mixture of glycerin and water below (probably + soluble
>salts), and
>something atop which looked like very dark brown biodiesel.

The dark liquid is called "acidulated soapstock", and is almost
entirely free fatty acid.
(FYI -- Crude oleic acid made this way is also known as "red oil".)
This is the stuff I've been
playing with for a couple weeks now. You can try to esterify it to
biodiesel with acid catalyst,
you can throw it on the nearest dirt road to keep the dust down, you
can turn it into soap,
you can react it with Ca(OH)2 to form the calcium salt which you can
then feed to your
pigs or dairy cattle as a ruminally inert fat booster, etc,
etc....Many people nowadays are
frantically looking for wonderful uses for the stuff. Let us know
what you find.

Seriously, tho, what you're doing is great -- FFAs are basically the
final effluent you
have to deal with after neutralizing everything else. They're fairly
strong herbicides,
so you really don't want to just toss 'em in the compost with the
aqueous phase.

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.