Sounds logical, (anyway I don«t know if the term "phase" really applies
here). But it sounds unreasonable to believe the reaction taking place in
the WVO/BD/MeOH layer will "have a way of knowing" if the layer og glycerin
belw is 1cm, 2cm or a mile deep.

I need to go back to over my books for this one. We need "hard references"
for the "displacement of the reaction how to-s". If what you point is right,
then centrifugating the mixture while processing (just to gather the
glycerine together) should be enough, without havin to tap it out...
assuming you can afford a centrifugue. And if this principle is right,
there«s another implication: In Alek«s 2 stage method, simply stopping the
reaction at 3/4 vol methoxide, and adding the remaining 1/4 the day after in
the same mixture (without separating the glycerin) would be OK... and this
is something important because each time you separate the glyc from the BD
you might be discarding the "layer in between" (unless you store these
layers for further processings and then separate and gather up all the
"leftovers") Am I being clear here? I think not.

The point is that in the traditional 2 stage method, after the first stage
you separate the glycerin and remove it, taking along with it some fine
"interphase layer" of BD with it. But if the assumtion yuo mentioned is
right, there«d be no need for this and you could simply reheat, proceed with
stage 2 (adding the remaining 1/4 MeOH) and finishing the reaction, and so
you«d avoid removing the glycerin (together with avoiding the drawback of
removing the small interphase layer of BD for every syage) just to remaove
the whole lot of glycerin after the last stage.

Regards,

Christian