Something in the corner of MY mind, where my little bit of chem-knoledge
resides, tells me that CaO is not the best stuff to dry esters. Yes: CaO and
HCl will produce water and CaCl2, but in a hydrated form. Probably you could
dehydrate the salt (after filtering and evaporating water), by calcination,
but this is an area I don«t know much of, and at high temperatures (I«m
talking of a closed crucible over direct fire) I don«t know if the substance
would decompose in some way.

Someone mentioned to me the other day (I think I recall having mntioned this
on a post some days ago) that CaCl could interfere with traces of methanol
surely present in the BD.

I«m still working on the water issue, as I«ve personally got some problems
here, with water contents of up to 2000 ppm (0,2 % vol) in my BD. A simple
solution seems to be to filter through very dry filter paper. Dry paper
should absorb water quite well (in my case, it worked well with emulsified
water in the final washing stage, removing the water content that impeded
the BD from being totally tranparent). It could work for dissolved water
too.

Regards,

Christian.