Marc,

1. Re Ozone layer depletion and it being perceived as 'party line' stuff
@biofuel_list or a figment of imagination - please note that alleged
software glitches of the TOMS[1] satellite data have been beaten to
death. Please note that a group of brits later used the same raw data
that the glitched study did and showed that indeed there was a rapid
depletion of the ozone layer. IIRC, the group was associated with the
antarctica research team of england.

2. No body said that Ozone depletion takes place only over the
stratosphere of Antarctica, not in this list anyway. A slew of studies
have shown that in the mid-north latitudes (30 N - 60) there have been
significant depletions too. I agree however that the popular term 'ozone
hole' has its primary linkages with Antarctica. But, that does not mean
that proto_ozone_holes(tm);-) don't exist anywhere else.

3. Ofcourse the accentuation (not the appearance, which please note) of
the 'hole' is seasonal - but the rate of increase of the hole scope and
the related ramifications are what a cause for alarmbells, IMO.

4. If one does some digging around with the concepts of polar
stratospheric clouds, active chlorine and polar (antarctic) vortices -
and understands them, the 'ozone hole in the south' where as 'most CFC
emissions are in the Northern Hemisphere' kind of apparent incongruities
would disappear, IMO.

5. I dont understand how/what 'continuously emit chlorine compounds'
translates to in terms of tonnage, but I understand that the Erebus
volcano does not operate 'continuously!'

6. I note with a wry grin that a blog says "Mt. Erebus, a volcano located
6 miles from McMurdo base, dumps up to 1000 tons of chlorine a day into
the polar atmosphere." I wonder where this gentleman got his data from!
The url [2] is given for your amusement and edification. Probably you are
referring to these kinds of claims. I am reminded of that cute quote by
Mark Twain - 'First get the facts straight,then you are free to distort
them at your leisure.' :-)

[1] http://jwocky.gsfc.nasa.gov/
[2] http://sproteus.blogspot.com/2002_04_01_sproteus_archive.html

Thanks and regards:

__ramjee.
Ramjee Swaminathan
http://www.qsl.net/vu2sro/
Mandatory quote:" Prudens questio dimindium scientia."