It appears that most public information is of one camp or the other. The
Spectator article is a classic example of spin and misinformation.

Lest anyone wish to now place me firmly in the other camp let me go on
record as stating it is my considered opinion that the CFC ban was political
and made lots of bucks for duPont (Bronfman) and Imperial Chemical. It also
killed lots of 3rd worlders who could not afford to replace equipment
instead of much less expensive repairs and thus lost refrigeration
facilities for vaccine and other products let alone foodstuffs.

HOWEVER!!! The ban on CFC products was proper and prudent. If you have
doubt -- and you have an alternative-- you should employ the alternative.
The lost facilities in the 3rd world should have been part of the cost of
changeover. Not nice to take money from the poor and then declare their
investment obsolete.

Likewise, in the absence of definitive CO2 proof, why should we take the
risk? We should be concentrating on solar thermal, wind, tidal, wave and
what have you. Especially we should be concentrating on distributed
generation. Cogeneration can double efficiency of installations yet we act
as though we are unaware of it. Biodiesel cogeneration is a natural for a
farm.

Nukes are a big money maker for some few people. Even if benign--and they
are far from it-- they are socially inferior because they are part of the
centralised paradigm of big business. As for the nuke data it is too good. I
think they claim 600 reactor years of operation and not one fatality. In the
real world someone would have slipped on a wet spot in the hall or stepped
on a dropped pencil and cracked their skull by now. Statistics that seem too
good to be true usually are.

Kirk