As I understand the process, the bales are broken open and the straw
scattered, then tamped, then another layer added, then the process
repeated until it is 4' deep.  The idea is to keep the ammonia from
harming the animals as it turns the bottom layers to compost.  You keep
adding to the top, for a few years anyway, until the whole thing becomes
too thick, then you remove the composted soil at the bottom and start
again.  I have a friend that grew up with the system and he said the
barn always smelled sweet and clean.
Kim

MH wrote:

>   Kim wrote:
>  > > As I saw the practice in Alberta, Canada, it took a couple of years to
>  > > build up sufficient layers to keep the coop warm.  they also do it in
>  > > Sweden, and start with a 4 ft deep layer of bedding.
>
> Grahams wrote:
>  > That sounds like Joel Salatin's deep bedding idea in his pastured poultry
>  > and beef books. We saw his farm, he puts corn in the bedding layers to be
>  > aerated by rooting pigs in the spring.  ( I imagine goats would just
> try to
>  > eat the corn as you put it down.) It ends up being four feet tall by
>  > spring  The chicken hoop house he had was very warm and dry- they sprayed
>  > it down to dampen the dust. But it also had a plastic greenhouse-
>  > like  exterior.
>
> MH wrote:
> Is the bedding - hay or straw bales so as to gain footing ?
>
> ``

> Biofuels list archives:
> http://archive.nnytech.net/
>
> Please do NOT send "unsubscribe" messages to the list address.
> To unsubscribe, send an email to:

> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!