Yup, for a small and well insulated building like I'm talking about
(400 square feet, strawbale) passive solar is the ideal solution. The
weird thing is that we have to put some fairly big windows in the
north side (awful for passive solar anything) because that's where
the view of the Custer battlefield is, and this thing partly functins
as an art project, I guess you'd call it. So I'm also considering
building an active solar air heater, but some of the design
considerations are that it has intermittent use, is not going to be
used at night like a house would be, and is otherwise well-insulated.
A small heater that can be fired up for short periods of time would
seem like the ideal technology here. In ordinary situations, I'd just
tell them to use a non-vented propane wall heater unit.
girl Mark

--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  mark wrote:
> >  I am working here with a group of other builder friends and
> > we are coming back next year to put up an outbuilding.  It is
small,
> > and is primarily to be used for housing some composting toilets
for the place.
> >  The building is something like 400 square feet and strawbale,
> > and we're doing the design for it right now.
>
>  MH wrote:
>  Has anyone calculated how many heating units (BTUs) is needed
>  for worst case scenario, say in the dead of winter,
>  using U or R values related to insulating surface areas
>  for example (e.g.) floor, walls, ceiling, windows, doors ?
>
>  Is it possible to supplement heating needs with passive solar
heating ?
>  Using lets say a vertical wall of e.g. used sliding patio doors
>  facing due south or varying 20 degrees either way.
>  Something on the order of a attached entryway green house effect.
>
> ``

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/TPvn8A/PfREAA/Ey.GAA/FGYolB/TM