[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In Germany sewage sludge usually has a too high heavy metal content
> to be used either in agriculture or in vegetable gardens.
>
> And you don't want to enrich your flowers with heavy metals.
>
> Reinhard Henning

 MH wrote:
 Thank you gentlemen, I'm trying to understand.
 Speaking of heavy metals this report mentions -

 2.3 The Price of Business-As-Usual
 ENVIRONMENTAL AND PUBLIC HEALTH CONSEQUENCES
 Air Toxics
 Heavy metals, which occur naturally in coal and oil deposits,
 are released into the air during combustion of fossil fuels.
 The main metals emitted include arsenic, beryllium, cadmium,
 chromium, copper, lead, manganese, mercury, nickel and selenium.
 Once in the environment, metals persist and can be deposited on soil,
 in lakes and in streams.  Contaminated soil may present a health risk
 when directly ingested (by children) or indirectly ingested
 (by humans and animals) through crops that take up metals.
 Metal deposits in lakes and streams may harm fish, humans and
 other species that consume contaminated fish.
 Mercury poses one of the greatest health risks among persistent air toxics.
 Fossil-fired power plants accounted for
 roughly 33 percent of U.S. mercury emissions in 1995.
 [As quoted from pdf page 30 of]
 Repowering the Midwest
 The Clean Energy Development Plan for the Heartland [of the USA]
 http://www.repowermidwest.org
 139 page, 2988K PDF > www.repowermidwest.org/repoweringthemidwest.pdf

 ===========

 Public Benefits of Renewable Energy Use
 From Powerful Solutions: Seven Ways to Switch America to Renewable
Electricity, UCS, 1999
 http://www.ucsusa.org/energy/brf.bene.full.html
 A Typical Coal Plant
   A typical 500-megawatt coal plant produces 3.5 billion kilowatt-hours per
year
      -- enough to power a city of about 140,000 people.
   It burns 1.4 million tons of coal (the equivalent of 40 train cars of coal
each day)
      and uses 2.2 billion gallons of water each year. In an average year,
      this one plant also generates the following:
   225 pounds of arsenic, 170 pounds of mercury, 114 pounds of lead,
   4 pounds of cadmium, and other toxic heavy metals
   Trace amounts of uranium

 Also on this page is
 Figure 5.  Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide Concentration and Temperature Change
                 [for the past 160,000 years - does not like so good.]

 In addition, coal and oil contain air toxics-metals like mercury, arsenic, and
lead.
 Although only trace amounts of these metals are present in coal and oil,
 they are difficult to catch using pollution-control equipment.
 Utility coal burning accounts for 40,000 tons of toxic air pollutants per
year.[10 ]
 For example, coal plants are responsible for over a third of the 150 tons of
mercury
 that are released into the air each year.[11]

 Once deposited in nature, toxic metals can accumulate in the fatty tissue of
animals and humans.
 They can cause severe health problems, such as mental retardation, nervous
system damage,
 and developmental disorders.  Due to the accumulation of toxic metals in fish
-
 some of it as a result of air pollution - 35 states have advisories against
eating fish
 caught in lakes and rivers.  Children and pregnant women are the most at
risk.[12]

 ===========

 How Oil Works
 http://www.ucsusa.org/energy/brief.oil.html

   And as bad as marine pollution can be, air pollution from oil is even worse.
 Transportation accounts for half of nitrogen oxide emissions in the US,
 and a third of carbon dioxide emissions, and a host of other air emissions,
 including carbon monoxide, ozone, sulfur oxides, particulates,
 volatile organic compounds, methane and toxic metals.
 These emissions contribute to urban smog, acid rain and global warming,
 causing health problems in humans and animals, damage to crops,
 forests and buildings, degradation of habitat... the list seems endless.

   Unfortunately, one of the worst culprits in causing air and water pollution
from oil
 is not some large corporation -- it is each and every one of us who owns and
drives a car.
 Gas evaporates as we pump it into our cars, and when we spill it on the ground,
 contributing to smog.  Oil drips from our engines, and finds its way into
lakes and rivers.
 We drive increasingly large and inefficient cars an ever greater distance
every year.

   While car makers and gas producers bear some responsibility
 in reducing our dependence on polluting oil,
 we must also take some personal responsibility.
 The solution to pollution is you.

> >  Is Sewage Fertilizer Too Toxic?
> >  Living On Earth
> >  http://www.loe.org/archives/020710.php