--- Appal Energy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Proceed with Caution?"
> "Insufficient Data?"
> "Need More Studies?"

I'm sorry, I think you got the wrong guy.  "Proceed
with caution" is what I said.  "Insufficient Data" and
"Need more Studies" was probably someone else.  One of
my hobbies is chemistry ... so I already know that the
irresponsible dumping of hydrocarbons on a lake will
destroy the surface tension on that lake.  And so on
and so on.  So maybe for someone else, but no further
studies are necessary for me.

> Come on guys. All the yellow flags are blatantly and
> abundantly clear. What off roaders are looking for
> is "green flag racing" policies until the bitter
end.

I resent the implication that "all" offroaders are
just a bunch jerks waiting in front of the White House
for legislation to allow "us all" to go "ALL RIGHT!!"
and "YEE HAA!! ... NOW WE CAN GO TEAR UP A FOREST!!".

Now, I ABSOLUTELY AGREE that there is (probably) a
group of offroaders that ARE jerks.  And I agree, that
those people EMBARRASS the hell out of the name
"offroaders".  But what group doesn't have its share
of "jerks"??

I admit to the existense of "jerks" in any group.
What I resent is the blanket generalization that "all"
offroaders ......

> When are humans going to curb their appetites in
> order that other
> species and that piddly assed little planet that
> could support a
> few more thousand generations can survive?
>
> "...Don't like where this whole subject is
> going"...? Isn't that
> a clue in itself?

A "clue"?? .... a clue to what??  (My fault - I'm
dense.)

> What if every walking aged person in the US decided
> to take a
> break from their AC/heated apartments for 7 days
> twice each year
> and strapped on a set of skies or pulled on a pair
> of hiking
> shoes and backpack?

This is ME now .. Me, the avid Offroader/4X4'er.

I THINK IF "EVERYONE" DID THAT- IT WOULD BE GREAT!!

> That would be one hell of an en masse impact,
> especially if it
> were to occur  in perpetuity. Rather quickly even
> such a
> "natural" impact would have to be addressed and
> restricted,
> complete with area and region closures.
>
> And yet off roaders bitch when they can't hot rod to
> the top of
> Gannett Peak. What you have are instances of single
> person
> transportation vehicles that can do more damage than
> 50 pair of
> Timberlands over the same number of miles.

See ... there goes that generalization again.  Not all
"offroaders" go "YEE-HAAA" and run full throttle down
the street with no mufflers.  Not "all" offroaders
crash through neighbor's fences and leave Super
Swamper tire tracks all over rose gardens.

I do not deny the existense of such people.  I simply
resent the "all" in that sweeping generalized
statement.

> And mechanized off roaders are supposed to be
> treated "equally"
> with bi-ped traffic?

No, I was always brought up with the notion that
pedestrians are true ones with "rights" to the road.
The cars are only guests with certain previleges.
Therefore, I stop to let the pedestrian cross. As I
driver, I remember MY place.  I carry the same
sentiment with me to the forest.  I am a guest .. I
take care of the surrounding.

> Sorry. Access for 50 before the same damage is
> conducted by 1 is
> a no brainer. Let 'em cry in their cheap assed,
> aluminum can, 3.2
> near beer that they toss along their paths. If they
> want equal
> access?....Let 'em get off their asses.

One more time... generalization.  I tell you what,
here's what we can do.  Let's start a new group.  But
this group we name "JERKS".  Let's throw in the
offroaders that tear up the forest.  But let's not
stop there.  Let's throw in the idiots that pass us
when the sign says "no passing zone".  Let's throw in
the idiot clerks that give us lousy customer service
and makes us wait hours in line.

Then, and ONLY then, will I agree that "all" of a
certain group (the one I mentioned above) are "jerks".
 That "all" should be penalized or arrested.

That's my take on it.

Curtis

=====
Our free newsletter can be found at