Hi Paul

> > Um, yes. Duh! I don't mind admitting it all looks like fly-shit to
> > me. Well, not quite, I can follow it up to a point but easily get
> > lost. Should've guessed the arrows though.
>
>Wouldn't worry too much about it Keith its all in house stuff.
>Each discipline has its own jargon, show me some shorthand or typesetting
>instructions and I wouldn't have a clue what it was all about.
>Thats what we are all here for, to pool our knowledge, help each other out
>and bounce ideas off each other.

You're so right, thankyou.

<snip>

>(quite a bit lost in the translation I'm afraid ,the hydroxide ion should be
>represented as OH with a superscript  minus after it.
> > > It appears that the water molecule is more readily reduced than the
> > > Na+  ion. This is entirely reasonable when you consider the addition
> > > of sodium metal to water results in the spontaneous reaction :
> > >
> > > 2 Na (solid) + 2 H2O  --->     2 Na+ + H2 (g) + 2 OH --
>Not far wrong about that spontaneous reaction. Teachers at my school used to
>perform what they called the "Red Sea Experiment". A paper boat would be
>constructed by one of the students. The boat would be floated on water in a
>large glass phneumatic trough (fancy words used to describe glass dish about
>30cm diam and 15cm high usually used when collecting gas in a gas jar by
>displacement of water). Some phenolphalein indicator had been mixed into the
>water previously. This indicator is colourless in acidic or neutral
>solutions but turns bright pink/purple in alkaline solution.
>A piece of sodium was then placed in the boat. As the paper absorbed water
>the boat would sink lower in the water. Bilge water would react with the
>sodium. The reaction gave off hydrogen and generated much heat causing the
>hydrogen to burst into flames. This in turn set fire to the boat which would
>burn to the waterline exposing more of the sodium to water  The reaction
>also created alkaline conditions (the sodium hydroxide produced) within the
>water causing the phenolphthalein to turn bright pink/purple. Very
>spectacular when it works right but the problem is the unpredictable burn
>rate of the sodium. The reaction rate is to a large extent dependent upon
>the skill of the boat builder. Often the reaction is so fierce that the
>sodium is liquified and hydrogen forms beneath/within it creats explosions
>which scatter burning liquid sodium for some distance. Very spectacular
>unless you happen to be in range. Some of our labs have burn marks on the
>ceiling as testimony of that little bit too much sodium. Experiment has been
>banned by head of department for safety reasons. Ah all the excitement has
>gone out of chemistry these days. We all learn by mistakes especially
>memorable ones, just so long as we are still around to remenber.

:-) Nice yarn! What's a lab without burn marks on the ceiling? What's
a kitchen without burn marks on the ceiling, LOL!

Thanks Paul, I grasp this a bit better now. Lori's Caveman Chemistry
link is interesting, could be the answer. Looks like it comes from a
lab that might have burn marks on the ceiling.

Regards

Keith

>Regards  Paul Gobert.

Looking for a more powerful website? Try GeoCities for $8.95 per month.
Register your domain name (http://your-name.com). More storage! No ads!
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aHOo4D/KJoEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM