From: Hakan Falk [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2002 4:38 AM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [biofuel] Air car.

Hello all participants of air car debate,

I think that the technique opens up a range of interesting solutions
and will try to mention a few,

1. The major value is not as an energy efficient way of running a car.
     As such, I agree with several of you, that pointed out its lack of
     conversion efficiency.

2. Several times on this list, people have pointed out the flaws in
     looking at single stage or a few stages efficiency. Only a few
     weeks ago, Keith wrote in an elegant way about this.

3. The value of the process is very large, if you look at is as a
     combination of conversion and storage technique. Using air
     and air pressure, seems to be a technique that solves a lot of
     space and weight issues. The limitation in the conversion back
     to other forms of usage, have probably taken a large step with
     development of this engine.

4. Most of renewable sources, like Sun, Wind, Hydro etc. need
     large storages, to be viable alternatives on their own. Hydrogen
     that at best have 1-2% efficiency from production to use and in
     most cases have a negative efficiency, have been argued more
     on its storage and conversion properties. But if you look at the
     distribution facilitation, it is both costly and time consuming.
     Compressed air is easier, less costly, safer and cleaner.

5. Contrary to what somebody said, we have a very large element
     of electricity production with basically diesel fuel. The reason is
     the ignorant engineering in the building industry, that generates huge
     peak demands. Those peak demands are covered by small power
     plants, driven by oil products. The reason is the short start/stop
     times that are needed for the generation. A lot of losses are taken
     on off peak times, because of that the major power plants are idle.
     The storage technique could have a major place in this equation.
     Especially on the air conditioning side.

6. One of the arguments for its use in the automotive sector, is the health
     problems in our cities. It is a compelling argument and I can not find
     anything wrong in it. Maybe we have negative gains in over all
pollution,
     but the power sources are not located inside the cities and by the
     dispersion of the pollution, we will have a positive effect on the
health.
     The pollution problem is also easier to improve in a few power plant,
than
     in millions of cars.

7. An often used technique in hydro electric dams, is the pumping back of
     water to storage dams. This can not be claimed as energy efficient as
     a process, but is for sure efficient as a whole. The compressed air
     technique will have similar benefits.

As I go on writing this, the ideas of applications flows faster than I can
write.
It is better to draw a line here, because I think that the case is clear.
The
value is the compressed air as storage of energy and the engine is a
missing link in the conversion chain to use of the compressed air.

Hakan

     wrong in this.

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

Looking for a more powerful website? Try GeoCities for $8.95 per month.
Register your domain name (http://your-name.com). More storage! No ads!
http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aHOo4D/KJoEAA/MVfIAA/FGYolB/TM