>Keith Addison wrote:
>

> > Anyway, hadn't you guys over there better start thinking about taking
> > your country back? Please???
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Keith
>
>    We'd love to, but by the time we actually GET to vote, the
>decent candidates
>have been long outspent by the political machine that perpetuates "business as
>usual".

Yes, that's one of the main things you have to take back.

>Worse, many of us have been so brainwashed into believing the swill
>that spews forth from Washington that our hackles raise whenever anyone
>questions the wisdom of a given policy.

... and that's what a LOT of all that campaign money, and various
other ill-gotten gains gets spent on - PR and spin.

One effect seems to be a really unnatural level of this divisive,
us-vs-them, "common bipolar disorder" thinking that simply shoves a
dissenting view, whatever its merits, into the enemy camp. If you're
not for us you're against us. This is not how confident, secure,
independent, mature people behave.

>    When I forwarded the article posted here on SUV tax breaks to friends and
>family, I received the NASTIEST responses from people who are
>RELATED to me!  It
>seems they actually believe that Mr. Bush and his administration
>truly have the
>best interest of America in mind whenever they dream up a policy.  (And I get
>continually reminded that I didn't vote for him!)
>
>    It's sad, really, that in a country of supposedly free people, I find an
>inordinate amount of social pressure to keep silent about my
>dissent.  The fact
>that I don't is, in my view, the mark of an individual raised in a free
>country.  There seem to be very few people questioning the American political
>leadership these days.  That seems a dangerous thing. . .

I get the impression that a hell of a lot of Americans are
questioning it, and rejecting it,  more and more loudly, but that the
mainstream media don't at all reflect that (despite their alleged
"left-wing" bias - LOL!).

>Here at home, alternative media--not just the Internet, but video
>and community access TV; community, low power, and pirate radio;
>zines and community newspapers; and political music, dance, and
>art--are flourishing under the radar. New and revived forms of
>organizing are energizing people not interested in traditional
>petitions, lobbying of Congress or the White House, marches,
>meetings, and the Same Old Chants. The phenomenal early December
>turnout at Garfield High School, where some 2,000 activists turned
>out specifically to sign up for volunteer work, is an obvious
>example. So was the euphoric student walk-out and march that week,
>organized and led almost entirely by high school students.

>Is evil afoot these days? Yep, and the omnicidal bipartisan stampede
>in Washington (and the greedy bastards they work for) have a corner
>on the market. But that has the advantage of letting us know where
>our work lies. There's lots to do, and plenty of reasons to believe
>it can and will matter; the outcome is clear only when we choose to
>stand idly by. Here's to regime change at home in 2003.

- Geov Parrish, "Peace on Earth: Maybe Next Year"
http://eatthestate.org/07-09/PeaceonEarth.htm

Apt New Year toast.

Keith