> Basically, we're saying to the UN, if you don't give
> us what we want, we'll take it anyway.

No, we gave the UN a chance to participate; they decided to pass on that
offer.  We had all the justification we needed in 1441 and all the previous
resolutions.   I think the UN is mad because they really didn't take our
threats seriously.

> precedent that we're setting.  By the U.S.'s logic, if
> India decides that it doesn't like the government in
> Pakistan, because it supports anti-Indian terrorists
> (which it does, or at least has in recent years), and
> that it constitutes a threat to its neighbors (with
> nukes it is a potential threat to India) and is not a
> government with clear electoral legitimacy (which it
> isn't), India is justified in going ahead with a
> preemptive attack to remove that threat.

If Pakistan posses a "clear and present danger" to the citizens of India
then they do have the right to a preemptive attack to remove the threat.
Whether they do or don't has more to do with the likelihood of success than
anything else at the moment.

> If the US doesn't hold itself bound by international
> law,

Who passed this "international law?" International law is non-sequiter.
Every country does exactly what it feels like doing at the moment.  They act
in their own self-interest.  Name for me two countries that consistently act
in the context of a moral framework--other than the Vatican?  The French?
Talk to the Greenpeace folks about that one. The Germans?   Don't make me
laugh.  The Russians?  Talk to the Chechnyan's about that. The Chinese?  Heh
heh heh heh. The only "international law" I see is the historical fact that
might determines who wins;  it may not determine who was right, but it
decides who's left.  It ain't logical, it ain't nice, but it's historical
fact.

No, this is all USA bashing.  We're the lead dog for now and I don't see
that we're any worse than any other country was when they were on top.  In
fact we're a heck of lot better than any of the European nations were during
their colonial phases.

The best part of this whole mess was when the French accused us of arrogance
and the Germans accused us of being militaristic.  I got a good laugh out of
that.

Paul

Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for
Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/46VHAA/FGYolB/TM