On Thu, 1 May 2003 03:46 pm, martin wrote:
> paul van den bergen wrote:
> >Can some one direct me to a definitive answer on the transesterification
> >mechanism and in particular the role and nature of the catalyst?
>
> Paul,
> There isn't a true catalyst in the reaction. The sodium methoxide which
> is added is partially used up in the reaction. A true catalyst goes in a
> cycle and is left to be used repeatedly. I could possibly get my sister
> [BS Chemistry] to write about it. Try searching google.com for details,
> I'm sure someone has a web page about the reaction.

coincidentally I just looked at an old org. chem book that mentions alkoxides
as catalysts for transeserifitaction reactions (including fatty acids). very
small section but interesting none the less.

Will have top go check out the library here some day (er... next week?)

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures

http://us.click.yahoo.com/O10svD/Me7FAA/uetFAA/FGYolB/TM