thanks keith, I'll look at Mikes page - j2forever is a remarkably useful
sight... especially the library...

The catalyst, hm. People would say "the lye", and indeed the lye is
>recoverable as a true catalyst should be. But it doesn't only act as
>the transesterification catalyst, it also serves to neutralize FFAs,
>why you need to titrate to calculate FFA levels so you can know how
>much lye to use. Also, the methanol replaces the glycerides in the
>molecule, and this methanol becomes part of the methyl esters
>molecule and is not recoverable. But you also need excess methanol to
>push the process towards completion - and this excess methanol is
>recoverable and reusable, so in a sense it is also acting as a
>catalyst. I think...

no, a catalyst reduces the activation energy of a reaction... adding excess
shifts the equilibrium point.

   ########## Paul van den Bergen
####       # Gabrielle Harrison
#  ####    # 848 High Street Rd
####  #    # Glen Waverley VIC 3150 Australia
   #   ###### [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   #   #      ph/fax. +613 9886 3160
   #####

Rent DVDs from home.