Hi Todd and all

Methanol recovery depends on the circumstances, whether it's worth it
or not and at which stage you do it. Three options:

1. Recover from the whole batch, biodiesel, by-product and all, at
some stage after processing.

2. Recover from the by-product, which contains most of the excess
methanol - lose a bit in the wash-water, but use much less energy
recovering the rest than you'd use in #1. But once the methanol's
removed, you can't separate the by-product into
FFA-glycerine-catalyst.

3. Separate the by-product (FFA-glycerine-catalyst) first, then
recover the methanol from the glycerine fraction. (But I think
there'll also be some in the FFA, no? Not sure, haven't checked that
out yet.)

So. Re #1, it seems at first the least attractive/practical option,
but there's a really efficient processor (120 litres, design to be
uploaded to JtF soon), properly sealed and built for pressure, which
works this way. Used with acid-base, but suitablke for any process.
They use a process temp of 65 deg C (150 F), with constant take-off
of the methanol vapours via a condensor built into the lid; the
condensed methanol is pumped back into the processor at the bottom
via a sparge - little bubbles of it, they find this really optimises
the methanol use. At the end of the process they simply continue to
evaporate off all the excess and condense it but don't pump it back
in. This is an efficient process with very low overall methanol
requirements without compromising the conversion. For the process
part of it you could mostly do without the condensor - the vapour
condenses anyway on the undersurface of the lid and drips back in,
though reintroducing it at the bottom via a sparge is better.

Downside is that it's very difficult to acid-separate the by-product
into FFA-glycerine-catalyst without the excess methanol, but if you
don't have a need for the separated products then no matter.

That also applies to #2. This is quite easy. Distilling off the
methanol is not like distilling ethanol, it's already purified, all
you have to do is evaporate and condense. We built a simple condensor
out of a length of salvaged 3/8" (10mm) copper pipe and 32" (81cm) of
plastic water pipe, 1-7/8" (48mm), with end-caps. The copper pipe is
straight-through, not coiled - it won't coil that small. 1/4" (6mm)
pipe will, almost, but we wanted a bigger pipe, so we made the
condensor longer. There's a water inlet at the end of the plastic
pipe and an outlet at the top, with hoses leading to and from a water
tank and a small water pump (aquarium/fountain type, cheap) doing the
work. The copper pipe emerges from the top of the plastic pipe and
curves back down in a semi-circle, the end connected to a small lid
in the lid of a small, 20-litre biodiesel processor with a 1.5kw
heating element. The curved bit of the copper pipe is insulated. The
processor lid is tight-fitting, sealed with silicon and clamped on.
There are two other small lids in it, one for a temperature guage,
the other for the stirrer, when required, closed when not required.
Put in about 15 litres of by-product, turn on the heat. The boiling
point rises as the methanol evaporates, leaving less methanol in the
mixture; it's more or less all gone by the time the temp reaches
about 100 deg C (212F). No need to provide for water cooling - if the
tank is quite big it won't be necessary, or just take out some
hot(tish) water and replace with cold. If water cooling is needed,
there's a neat method I'll be uploading to JtF soon, as well as some
pics of this condensor operation.

Trouble with this set-up is that the electrical heat is expensive.
Having established that it all works okay, I'll now dump the
electrickery and use a heat-exchanger instead (fired by by-product,
free heat).

So we get our excess methanol back, and we're left with by-product
that we can't separate. It still burns well though, but not as well
as with the methanol. Would we rather have the excess methanol for
re-use, or hot-burning byproduct/sawdust/milk carton logs? The logs I
think, at least in winter. But it's good to have an easy choice. The
by-product also makes better fuel as-is, methanol included, for use
in a Turk-type burner for process heat (heat-exchangers).

Anyway, our own preferances regardless, we need to have all this
stuff figured out and set up for the ongoing seminars, demos, classes
and so on so we can show people what their options are and how to
exploit them best, reducing waste to zero and keeping costs at
optimum.

#3, FFA-glycerine-catalyst separation, followed by methanol recovery
from the glycerine portion (mainly).
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_glycerin.html#separate

This'll get you back your methanol, but if you want to sell the
separated glycerine you'd have to use the thin-film evaporator rather
than the set-up described above for raw by-product, which would wreck
the glycerine, right? Or is that wrong?

Presuming it's right, that's a more complex bit of kit you need, plus
85% phosphoric acid - quite a lot of it, not very cheap. Roughly, you
need almost a litre per 10 litres of by-product to be separated. Plus
the heat energy for distillation, whether free or not. So you'd have
to work out the economics of it - is it worth it to you? There's the
saving of recycling the excess methanol, but do you have a ready
market for tech-grade glycerine, preferably a market for the
potassium phosphates rather than just using it on the land or in the
compost, which amounts to useful disposal but no cost recovery, and a
good fuel use for the FFA? Or a market for it as weed-killer or
whatever.

So you have to figure all these variables to know when, for you, is
the best stage to reclaim the methanol, if any. My guess is the
bigger the operation, to more worthwhile it'll be. Home-scale? Again,
if I were using the 120-litre processor I mentioned with the
condensor in the lid, I'd do it that way. I may well do just that,
adapting that system to our 90-litre processor set-up.

Anything to add? Or change? Much more, obviously, about thin film
evaporators and heat-exchangers and so on, but is this outline of the
methanol-recovery options valid, think ye, o wise ones?

Any opinions on Mark's tip on the flash evaporators used in the jam
and jelly industry?

Regards

Keith

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.