Geoff,

You wrote:

> Has anyone installed an Espar, Webasto or other diesel fired water
> heater in their WVO system to pre-heat the cooling system and thus
> the WVO?......My question is if these will work burning WVO.....

I've installed a Webasto diesel-fired coolant heater/pump in my Tdi Land
Rover, plumbed into the cooling system (obviously) and will use it to
preheat the coolant in my radiator, engine, heatercore,  Webb HotSTK
(now Racor HotSTK, since they bought Webb in December)  in my WVO tank,
and in my Vormax fuel pre-filter/filter, which has a heat exchange
function. (The Webb HotSTK is the only way that we - Neoteric Biofuels
www.biofuels.ca recommend as a  means to introduce coolant into a fuel
tank - we don't feel like taking on the potential liability we'd incur
if a customer had a catastrophic loss of coolant into their fuel from a
copper loop or transmission oil cooler. Which has happened, BTW - with
diesel engines being turned into boat anchors in a few minutes of
operation without coolant.)

So, fire up the Webasto or Espar, (and they both offer a keychain remote
feature) and after some amount of time, which of course varies depending
on ambient air temps, you've got hot coolant being circulated (by the
12V pump) through all of the above components, so you've got: a hot
engine, hot (or at least warm) fuel in your injection pump and
injectors, hot fuel in your tank, hot fuel in your fuel filter, and hot
coolant in your heatercore - so everything, including your passenger
compartment, is hot prior to starting the car. For campers or RV's, you
can plumb a  hot water heat exchanger into the loop, and use the Webasto
or Espar to provide you with domestic hot water. If your fuel lines are
bundled next to your coolant lines (HOH or hose-on-hose, as opposed to
HIH or hose-in-hose, which scares us (see above - can you say
"catastrophic loss of coolant") with the whole bundle insulated with
foam pipe insulation) you've also got a heated fuel path from tank to
engine.

As far as running an Espar or Webasto on WVO: Alexander Noack, the
senior engineer at Elsbett, who's in charge of the SVO kit side of their
business, (and Elsbett installs Espar heaters as a cold-weather option
on conversions they do at their workshop in Germany) told me that Espar
claims you can run *biodiesel* (not SVO or WVO) in their heaters, but
that you need to run them on diesel periodically. Whether pre-heated
biodiesel would eliminate this need, I don't know. And it's possible
that pre-heated WVO would also combust properly. I'd of course suggest
our Vegtherm 12V inline fuel heater for this purpose. My Land Rover
isn't quite on the road yet, but when it is, I'll be experimenting with
the Webasto, to see if it will run on pre-heated biodiesel, and I'm sure
I'll try it on pre-heated WVO at some point. With a bit of plumbing one
could of course do a two-tank system for the Webasto or Espar and start
it on bioD or dinoD, run it on WVO, then shut down on dinoD or bioD.

I'll keep the group informed of the outcome of my experiments.

Craig Reece

To visit your group on the web, go to: