Mention of biodegradable popcorn packaging material seems pretty
ridiculous to me particularly considering that there aren't many things
more biodegradable than real popcorn.  I've got an old hot air popper
that I picked up from a garage sale for $5, so any time I need to mail a
fragile package, I buy a bag of the cheapest kernels I can find (about
$1), and pop just enough to cushion what I'm sending.  This is
advantageous for me because I can buy it at any grocery store and many
convenience stores and don't have to waste storage space on a big bag of
styrofoam peanuts.  When the package reaches its destination, the
recipients can discard the stale popcorn into the waste stream where it
will readily decompose in their local landfill, mix it into their
compost pile for use as fertilizer, or simply or throw it in the yard
for the birds.  The only disadvantages I can see are that items packed
in real popcorn for long periods may attract rodents and as popcorn
ages, it becomes softer and looses some of its cushioning ability, which
makes it impractical to reuse.

For commercial and retail products, thoughtful package design using
molded paper or die-cut corrugated inserts are the most environmentally
responsible.

-BRAH