Hi Dan

>Keith Addison said:
> >
> > There won't be any effects -- IF it's properly composted. Please note
> > what I said to Myke - what I always say:
> >
> > >Just make sure it's hot compost - aerobic, thermophilic. It should
> > >hit 60 deg C (140F) or more, and then all will be well.
> >
> > That is a different matter to sewer processing (anaerobic, mesophilic
>
>meosphilic?  Middle loving?

Almost: mid-range temperature loving. Mesophilic microbes live and
grow at temperatures between 50 and 113 deg F (10-45 deg C), followed
by thermophilic microbes that thrive between 113 and 158 deg F (45-70
deg C).

>a combination of aerobic and anaerobic?

Sort of, there'll be some anaerobic, and some that are sort of both,
or either, but the preponderance is aerobic.

>I tried looking it up, didn't get any closer than I had by breaking it
>down into it's greek roots.
>
> > at best). This stuff gets reliably broken down in the extremely
> > intense activity of a hot compost pile.
>
>That's what I thought the case might be.  I'm glad to hear it.
>
>As for anaerobic sewer processing, the plant here is very aerobic, at
>least parts of the processing are.

I think that means they aerate the liquid, right? I know that system,
it works well for decomposing biosolids etc to clean it up for easier
handling/disposal, but it's not at all the same thing as a hot
compost pile when it comes to biodegrading nasties and killing
pathogens (and weed seeds, incidentally). Two essentially different
processes for different purposes.

>I'll take some pix if you like.  I
>work for the City of Spanish Fork, in Utah, USA.  I work for the
>electrical department, but we share office/shop/grounds with the sewer
>plant and their processing facuilities.  But, being aerobic it certianly
>does not generate the temperatures you've mentioned.

No, it's mesophilic.

That's why I always specify "thermophilic, aerobic". Other parameters
are a moisture content of about 65% (not more) and a C:N ratio of
about 25-30:1 - that's initially, when you build the pile, once the
process takes off those ratios will quickly change. Please see
Journey to Forever's composting section for more info.

Best wishes

Keith

>Thanks,
>Dan
>--
>Jack of all trades, master of none.
>Fiber Artist - Genealogist - Kilt Maker - Linux Geek - Piper - Woodworker
>http://www.xmission.com/~redbeard

To visit your group on the web, go to: