Keith Addison said:

> >meosphilic?  Middle loving?
>
> Almost: mid-range temperature loving. Mesophilic microbes live and
> grow at temperatures between 50 and 113 deg F (10-45 deg C), followed
> by thermophilic microbes that thrive between 113 and 158 deg F (45-70
> deg C).
>
> Sort of, there'll be some anaerobic, and some that are sort of both,
> or either, but the preponderance is aerobic.

Okay, that's the first stage, runs at about 90 deg F, and in this case
it is mostly anerobic.

> I think that means they aerate the liquid, right? I know that system,
> it works well for decomposing biosolids etc to clean it up for easier
> handling/disposal, but it's not at all the same thing as a hot
> compost pile when it comes to biodegrading nasties and killing
> pathogens (and weed seeds, incidentally). Two essentially different
> processes for different purposes.

Yes, after the anerobic stage, they areate the liquid, and yes, quite
different from the process you have been discussing.  This doesn't
reach the temps of a hot composte pile, and thus does not offer those
benifits.

> That's why I always specify "thermophilic, aerobic". Other parameters
> are a moisture content of about 65% (not more) and a C:N ratio of
> about 25-30:1 - that's initially, when you build the pile, once the
> process takes off those ratios will quickly change. Please see
> Journey to Forever's composting section for more info.

Will do.  Thanks.

Dan
--
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Fiber Artist - Genealogist - Kilt Maker - Linux Geek - Piper - Woodworker

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511