Hallo Bua!

Loada  is  a  wengerl boarish heitztaag vuizvui.  Mei boarisch is scho
veratzt.   Mei  Oma  is  sho 37 Joar gstarm und i hab scho siemadrei§g
Johr koa boarisch gredt.

And  brother,  I  had  to think a lot to write that.  It just makes me
sick  that  I  am losing my German and boarisch but more and more goes
every  day.  I was trying to think of the commands my grandfather used
to  give the horses and I remembered "hott!" right away but it took me
days to remember "wist!"  I can remember things like loabitoag because
I  still  bake  sourdough  loabi  and  of course how could anyone ever
forget  wisiwisi?   What  is  even  worse for me is that I have lost a
large range of my hearing because of small arms fire when I was in the
military  and the few people I do know who speak boarisch who come and
visit  ever  other  year  or two don't speak louder to me but rephrase
their sentences or begin speaking in high German.

What happened in my family was that my grandmother came over here just
prior  to  the  1WK  and  moved  into  a  small  Michigan  town called
Frankenmuth.   When the war broke out US troops surrounded Frankenmuth
and treated the people, most of whose families had been here since the
mid  1800's,  like  hostile aliens.  When my grandparents married they
decided  to  speak  boarisch  to each other but nothing but English to
their  children  which  means  that  my  parents  didn't  speak either
boarisch or German.  They wanted "American" kids.

When I was a kid I would spend time with my Oma Zehender u. Tante Mirl
and  they  would put me to bed and sit out on the back porch which was
screened  in  because they lived on a lake and the mosquitos were bad.
The back porch was just off the kitchen and there was a window between
them  which Oma kept open for the breeze.  As they sat there speaking,
Oma  in boarisch and English and Tante Mirl in schwŠbisch and English,
I  would  sneak out, sit on the cupboard and listen to them.  I picked
up  a  lot  that  way.   They used a kerosene lamp for light which was
pretty  dim  and  I was very quiet so I got away with doing this for a
few  years.   I finally got caught and Oma had me by the ear and asked
me  how  long  I  had been sitting there.  I told her, "Ja mei Oma!  I
woa§ ned!"  That was when she started talking boarisch with me.  I was
8 or 9 at the time.  Probably 8.  So I had boarisch for short times in
the  summer  for about 13 years.  She bought me a bible and we read it
together.   I  got an English/German cathecism from her as well.  Then
she  taught me the SŸtterlinschrift.  In Viet Nam it was funny because
she  would address the envelope to me in English but on the inside she
would  write in SŸtterlin and my parthers would go nuts.  "How can you
understand that crap?"

Anyhow,  Oma  died when I was 21 and still in the military.  I haven't
been able to speak boarisch, even in the summers, since then.  I am 58
now.  It is easier with high German when I get a letter because I have
both  the Collins German-English dictionary and even better the Wahrig
deutsches  Wšrterbuch.   Unfortunately  they  don't  make  a  boarisch
dictionary  and  even  if they did there seem to be so many variations
between  the  dialects.   My  shoes  I call Haferlschuhe but my friend
calls  them Goiserer.  One person says Muich and another Milli. And so
on.  hihihi   I  don't  think  they  could even come close to a decent
boarisch dictionary.

I  would  not  mind  at all exchanging a wengerl boarisch but I cannot
promise  how  much  I  would understand or if my grammar would be good
anymore.   I  am  ashamed to speak boarisch or German because it is so
poor. :o/  It is good to know that there is at least one other boar on
the list.  You have made my day Landsmann!

PfŸatdigod,

Gustl

--
Je mehr wir haben, desto mehr fordert Gott von uns.
Mitglied-Team AMIGA

To visit your group on the web, go to: