Hello Thor

>I really think that this issue is largely a red
>herring.

I think so too, and thanks for the refs (and to Darryl).

>Wind turbines can kill birds and bats; even the larger
>models produce wing-tip speeds over 100mph.

Bats too? Really? I'm surprised. I remember reading a report of some
tests with captive bats using a fan, just an ordinary domestic
cooling electric fan, though quite a big one. They managed to get the
bats to fly through the fan, which they did without any trouble,
using their inbuilt hi-tech radar gear to time it right and avoid the
blades most unerringly. The researchers turned up the speed, the bats
still avoided the blades, turned it up again, still no problem, but
at the fastest setting the bats were beaten - but not injured: they
flew over the fan rather than through it. Maybe the 100mph+ wing-tip
speed of a big wind-turbine is a different matter, but I don't quite
see how.

Any chance of wind farms killing red herrings?

regards

Keith

To visit your group on the web, go to: