In off-shore wind farms, there are issues with marine wildlife  as well as
birds. I heard that vibrations in both the water and the ocean floor
cause disorientation in large mammals, and maybe other species as
well.

There is a project in Massachusetts, USA to install 420 MW (If I remember
correctly) of off-shore generation off cape cod, run by Cape Wind. People
are trying really hard to be aware of migration patterns of whales and
birds, but with the other constraints of water depth, distance from shore,
ship routes, etc., there are only a few places that a large farm can be
sited along the coast in Mass.  There's a big outcry from some, huge
support from others, and pretty much lots of people hear something that
disturbs or exhilarates them, and it calls them to arms about the issue.

There's a website, http://www.safewind.info
that gives lots of information, both general and specific to the cape
(Mass.)

Also, a page with links to lots of other articles by
scientists/government/non-profit environmental groups, etc.

http://www.safewind.info/who_says_what.htm
and
http://www.safewind.info/for_more_information.htm

----
I remember marvelling at the slowness of big wind generators in the
countryside in German, until I realized how far away they were, how large
the blades were, and how fast they must be spinning at the tips of the
blades.

guesses at numbers:
5 second period in gentle breeze.
60 foot long blades, 120 foot diameter.
120*3.14= 376.8 feet circ.
5/60*60 = 720 rev per hour.
376.8 /5280 = 0.071 mile circumference.
0.071 miles/rev * 720 rev/hour = 51 mph. hmmm. that's fast.
(or 83 kph) I wouldn't want to be flying along and hit one.

-Aaron

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511