Martin Klingensmith wrote:

>  Hello Robert,
> The first thing I would do is make sure that the rest of the engine is
>
> in very good condition before paying $1200 for a head.

    The cylinder head had already been removed when I looked at the
van.  I've torn apart many engines and I was really surprised that I
found no carbon "ring" on the top of the cylinder.  The engine actually
looked really good.

> If you have any
> friends that do custom automotive work, maybe you could adapt another
> engine to fit. This is normally done with rear wheel drive vehicles,
> but
> it isn't impossible with a front wheel drive.

    The MPV is rear wheel drive.  The five speed manual transmission
used in the MPV is the same transmission that is used in my Ranger
truck.  In the late '80s, the Ranger came with a Mazda 2.3 liter
turbodiesel, so I figured it would be a fairly straightforward
conversion.

> Major electrical work
> would have to be done unless you decide to use an older VW diesel.
> Let us know what you do, either way.

    After posting my message last night, I went to bed but couldn't
sleep.  This morning, I phoned the man who owns the vehicle and told him
I couldn't go through with the purchase.  Even replacing the head,
something well within my capabilities, would require more work and time
than I can really afford to invest, and because the van isn't currently
running, there is no way to evaluate the condition of its running gear
(clutch, transmission, rear end, etc.) without tearing things apart.  It
simply has too many kilometers on its clock, and because my job consumes
me (I never work less than 45 hours per week, and my commute is 35
minutes each direction!) I  don't have time to repair an unreliable
vehicle.  (Don't even talk to me about my Ranger supercharger project!)

    So, I've let it go.  Had it been a diesel, I might have been more
enthusiastic about buying the machine.  (And I've heard that the MPV is
available with a diesel in Japan.)  Thanks for your advice!

robert luis rabello
"The Edge of Justice"
Adventure for Your Mind
http://www.1stbooks.com/bookview/9782