I went and saw some more examples myself.  Shades and blinds do seem to be given
ratings such as R Value (keeping the heat in) and some sort of Solar Coefficient
(the lower the better, for keeping the solar heat out when not wanted), as well
as a person having to define how much opacity they want.

Hunter Douglas had their own battery-powered device (rather than just sending
them to a third party like Insolroll), so I guess there's more than one way to
do the powered-shade thing.  I can second your pricey-side conclusion.