<x-charset ISO-8859-1>http://www.solaraccess.com/news/story?storyid=6001

I was intruiged by it.  The point to me wasn't the spin that the
inventors were putting on it.  That is par for the course.  Many
inventors (not all, but many) fall prey to stupid worthless thinking
that their achievement is the be-all end-all.

I basically dismissed that nonsense before I set eyes on the article.
A society needs many inventions and devices and technologies to
function, (and some human behaviour achievements and ideas on top of
that) and there is no such thing as a be-all end-all device, even if
some are more wonderful than others.

But what was important to me was to develop a sense of where we stand
as far as the concept of artifially dealing with some of the CO2
surplus problem.

Don't get me wrong..... I don't think I presently advocate anything
other than stopping the production of surplus and letting the earth
eco-system's natural inbuilt self-protective processes take some
action.

But still, I want to be aware of what the artificial advocates are
thinking.  We have gone from the Conservatives coming into power in
2000 actually daring to be serious about the
probably-unbelievably-destructive idea of storing CO2 at the bottom of
Oceans in liquid form.

While we seem to have abated their enthusiasm for that primitive (and
in my view, somewhat revealingly assinine) notion, we do need to be
aware of it when they come up with something else.

To my eye, the immediate challenges to this artificial notion are:

1.  How much energy would it take to separate Carbon from Oxygen?
2.  What would be done with the Carbon?  I don't think there's enough
of a market for the few products mention for Carbon Black to warrant
being so cavalier about the matter.  If you're talking about
separating enough Carbon from Oxygen to make a difference to Global
Warming, I think you should have better thinking in place as to what
to do with the Carbon.
3.  Keith mentioned the danger of releasing so much O2.  I'm not sure
what to make of whether or not it would be good to release so much O2.

I refuse to get into being overly-dismissive of any idea, so if this
inventor has an idea he wants me to consider this idea for
ameliorating our CO2 global surfeit, I'll try to give it some fair
consideration.