Hi Todd

>Hellow Keith,
>
>Yup. Sometimes biodiesel clouds right back up after it's cooled down. Used
>to see this when we "sun dried" fuel. Every time the sun went down the fuel
>clouded back up.
>
>I have a feeling that it quickly absorbed as much water from the cooler air
>upon sunset as it dispersed in the heat of the day.

I think so.

>Seems that the elevated heat tends to drive much of the moisture into the
>ambient air if done in a well vented tank or container. A little bit settles
>out, but more of the former.

I agree, much more evaporation than settling.

Camillo Holecek told us it would always absorb 1,200 ppm of water,
though the standards require less than 500 (US), or less than 200
even in one case (France). He said Energia produces biodiesel with
50ppm water, but by the time you put it in your tank it'll have 1,200
anyway.

If I've got it right, that 1,200 ppm won't make it cloudy, it'll
still be clear, or should be, and the dissolved water won't do any
harm, maybe even some good. The cloudiness is free water content, not
dissolved, and I think that will do harm. The Fuel Injection
Equipment Manufacturers (Bosch et al) also think so.
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_FIEM.html
FIEM report

(They don't like dissolved water either, but considering all the
research on using fuel-water emulsions and its benefits, maybe
they're over-reacting with this. )

The main industry concern seems to be the dreaded oxidation and
bacterial attack, giving rise to the even more dreaded acid content.

I guess what happens is that the Big Guys who belong to the NBB and
such send off their one-off carefully prepared test "sample" (sample
of what? - not necessarily of normal production it seems) in a
thoroughly dewatered state and in a tightly sealed container,
whereupon it's duly found to have less than 500ppm water content, and
commercial biodiesel quality is thus assured, hey.

Meanwhile self-same Big Guys are dumping successive loads of
hopelessly sub-spec fuel on California and wrecking people's motors
and so on, and nor NBB nor EPA even notices - the homebrew crowd has
to clean up the mess behind them, contrary to industry myth, which
persists in having it the other way round (but splutters helplessly
when asked for examples). The NBB, lost in apparent oblivion, then
proudly conducts delegates on a tour of said iffy Big Guy's plant
which produces the bad brew as the highlight of their annual
biodiesel bun-fight.

On the other hand, Graham Noyes of World Energy said the sub-spec
commercial brew they distributed (do they take turns at it or what?)
had passed the ASTM tests, but not when, after complaints, they sent
it to another laboratory for testing, where it failed. This sounds
suspiciously as if the lab tests are just a rubber-stamp anyway, sans
actual testing (much cheaper that way, and it sure brings in the
business). IF you're a Big Guy, that is.

But if you're a small guy, you can forget about getting registered as
on on-road fuel producer no matter how good your fuel might be -
they'll keep moving the goalposts, even in defiance of their own
rules, finally (?) claiming that your small-scale brew will have to
meet not the ASTM biodiesel spec, but the ASTM petroleum diesel spec.
And I guess if we ever managed to do that they'd shake their heads
sagely and say it just isn't purified enough to power Three Mile
Island on, or maybe the Starship Enterprise.

I suppose you could take all this BS and generate more than enough
methane with it to pre-heat your WVO with, if not run Three Mile
Island.

Anyway, until they start changing the rules for off-road use, and for
individuals' own use, and enforce it, there are ways round all this.
Though Australia seems to be doing just that. Amazing how blatant our
purported "leaders" have become about demonstrating whose pockets
they're in, I wonder who or what might have encouraged them to be so
in-your-face about it - NOT! **OFF-TOPIC!** LOL!

Anyway anyway, to go back to the beginning, we've still got some of
the first biodiesel we ever made here, four or five years ago or
whenever it was. No special storage, it's been in all sorts of
weather and conditions, and there's nothing wrong with it at all,
still perfectly good. Which leaves me to wonder what all the fuss is
about.

Get your fuel clear so it stays clear, whether by settling, leaving
it in the sun or heating it, then put it in your motor and go, and
you'll be a happy biodieseler.

regards

Keith