>Both of these articles discuss the recent rise in oil prices. It is
>worth noting that this rise in oil prices is not likely to be
>reversed, at least in its entirety, because part of it is
>attributable to the fall in the dollar. Over the last two years, the
>dollar has fallen by approximately 10 percent against a
>trade-weighted basket of currencies. This means that if oil stayed at
>approximately the same price against most other goods, it will have
>risen by 10 percent measured in dollars.
>
>This is actually an important fact that deserves more attention than
>it has received. This rise in oil prices, in a context of extremely
>slow nominal wage growth, will lead to a drop in real wages. The 0.5
>percent rise in consumer prices in January was considerably faster
>than the 0.2 percent increase in the average hourly wage reported for
>the month.

We read the articles last year speculating that a part of the
behind-the-scenes concerns were how Oil would be denominated.  If
there was a shift toward denomination in Euros then supposedly the US
was very much against this because it would cream the dollar,
supposedly.

We haven't seen that shift to Euros, but keeping Oil and the Dollar
linked has not prevented some slide for the dollar in the face of what
seems like the most profligate borrowing Administration in history.

I say "seems like" because I'm not sure if Bush II/Cheney is a worse
deficit spender than Bush I or Reagan, when adjusting for inflation.
But he's got to be close.

It's been my view that this profligate borrowing is ultimately linked
to some devaluation of the dollar, in the sense that the debts have to
be repaid at some point to those borrowed-from (American Consumers,
Corporations or Foreign Bodies... whatever), and that ultimately while
this may mean some direct taxes to pay this debt, it may also mean
what I regard as a different form of taxation, which is to devalue the
debt one is owed so it can be paid more easily by the debtor.  So,
whatever objective measure the dollar is desperately sort of still
linked to if at all (other currencies, precious metals, fuel,
whatever), the currency will likely be somewhat devalued as an
indirect tax measure (in this odd way of seeing things).

I also note that it's been sort of weird to watch the Government's
Budget Deficit and the Nation's Trade Deficit, as they really seem to
mirror each other in almost exact amounts.  About half a trillion
each, over the last year.  (A Trillion Here, and a Trillion There, and
pretty soon you're talking about real money... unless it gets
devalued).

As to the Trade Deficit, I'm not sure I see the devaluation of the
dollar vs. other currencies as being at all bad.  Let American
Consumers and businesses stop this partly-debt-financed shopping
spree.  We should not just go sending IOUs overseas forever and ever
and ever.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511