<x-charset ISO-8859-1>> Could that be like the monoglycerides I've seen some
people on the list
> have trouble with?

Could very well be. They materialize as an emulsion in the presence of
water, the intensity of which is dependant upon their degree of presence.

"Dark brown" fuel the color of maple syrup indicates some rather well used
base feedstock, rich in FFAs. If the manufacturer is conducting only a
straight base reaction (which is pretty foolish when dealing with high FFA
product, INMSHO), there's too good of a chance that the last of the catalyst
was consumed as soap just prior to the reaction being complete.

If the reaction was almost total, while there's a high degree of probability
that most of the unconverted glycerides were left in what the operator may
have noticed as being an unusually high wash emulsion at the plant. But
there would also be a fair number that made it past the last wash and into
your tank.

A lot of people seem to think that all the unconverted glycerides will be in
the emulsion layer. Not so. You could take a fuel that was almost entirely
complete in its reaction and wash it even 10 times and always come up with
an emulsion that is higher than just the interphase layer that would be
present on washes of completed fuel.

If you wish to determine if the fuel problem is due to stearates - which I
highly doubt -  put a pint of fuel in the fridge and slowly cool or let it
set out overnight when the temp is expected to drop below 50*F. Part of the
contents should gel, even at that high of a temp.

(Wasn't it you who pointed to an article a year or so back, where the Air
Force (?) was doing super cooling of biodiesel to separate the different
carbon chain lengths and saturated/unsaturated esters to yield a biodiesel
with the lowest possible gel point?)

Still, that wouldn't cause the white exhaust plume. That's more indicative
of H20 in the fuel, leading to the belief that you've got a partially
incomplete fuel - hence the suggestion that you conduct a quick "frog in a
blender" wash test with a small sample.

Todd Swearingen