[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote (regarding my response to Hakan's post):

> Call it biofuel, energy storage, say from burning wvo.  On what basis then
> could you discount the alternative of  hot water storage in large, insulated
> tanks if the energy is to be spent in an hydronic system for a combination of
> space heating, swimming pool heating, and  heating the driveway for snow and
> ice
> removal?
>
> Glenn Ellis
> Hakan,
> I have done some superficial research, and my preliminary conclusion is that
> scale
> is the determining factor.  For household-scale energy storage, batteries are
> the
> most economic solution for storing electricity.  I did some rough calculations

I don't think I discounted hot water storage, however, I don't think it
addresses
the original topic - "Electricity storage solutions" -  (on which I was
definitely
pushing the envelope already).  Actually, I specifically mentioned electric hot
water heaters and thermal mass.  I was limiting myself to things where
electricity
is (at least in some cases) used and expanding on utilization techniques as
forms
of "storage", rather than just conventional storage.  The techniques you refer
are good and proven ideas for thermal energy storage, I just hadn't expanded
the
scope of the discussion that far.

I have pasted in the original message for reference.

Hakan,
I have done some superficial research, and my preliminary conclusion is
that scale is the determining factor.  For household-scale energy storage,
batteries are the most economic solution for storing electricity.  I did
some rough calculations, and concluded that with realistic time-of-use
pricing (low off-peak - about Cdn$0.03/kWh and high peak prices - about
Cdn$0.20/kWh - reflecting hourly market rates - generation, transmission
and distribution costs only), then having a day's worth of storage
capacity could pay back in my situation - assuming lead-acid golf- cart
batteries having a life of five years or more in this application,
conventional charger, and inverter was already in place for other reasons
(UPS or capturing solar or wind-generated energy).

I put in the battery bank when we were promised by our politicians that
the time-of- use option was coming.  Of course, it never happened.  Now, I
stock it with batteries that are no longer of sufficient capacity to power
EVs, but still have some usable capacity, and only use it as stand-by
power when the grid goes away (like last August).

At larger scales, if the space is available, pumped storage appears to be
the technology of choice for electrical utilities.  In specific
circumstances, there are other technologies that may be attractive - e.g.
composite (super) flywheels

Some other household "storage" options include setback thermostats on
electric water heaters (so they go to a higher temp at off-peak times,
e.g. 60 C, and lower at peak times, e.g. 50 C - that way the water heater
will not turn on during peak periods if no water is used).  Similarly,
"storing" heat and "coolth" in thermal mass during off-peak periods
(notably if heat pumps/air conditioners are being used).  I have also
heard of people putting their refrigerators and freezers on timers so
their compressors only run during off-peak periods.  There is also time-
shifting; running specific appliances (e.g. washing machine, dishwasher)
at off- peak times.  And of course, my personal favourite - EVs - battery
storage on wheels.

Darryl McMahon