spriggsbororon wrote:

> Back in the 1960's, I attended a few drag races (1/4 mile event) at
> the drag strip. The fuelers used 'nitro'. When I would get a pit pass
> and walk by the rails and funny cars, the odor would clean out my
> nostrils (Whew!). When I asked various non-racing people afterwards
> how much nitro was used, I got different answers from "a few drops"
> to "100% nitro".
>
> One time I went to the drag strip at the beginning of the season when
> the temperature was about 40-45 degrees F. The fuelers ran real
> rough, missing and even stalling. A bystander said that it was
> probably too cold outside to run the nitro fuel.
>
> Any input on nitromethane as a fuel compared to others, or is it
> really the same as other alcohol fuels you mention, but with a fancy
> name?

Nitromethane is an explosive.  It can also be used as monopropellant
rocket fuel.  As one guy put it "You can put your cigarette out in it,
but if you hit it with a hammer it'll explode."  Top fuelers mix it with
methanol to dilute it down to their desired power level according to
atmospheric conditions.

It's nasty stuff, and IMHO, best avoided.

AP