Alan Petrillo wrote:

> Nitromethane is an explosive.  It can also be used as monopropellant
> rocket fuel.  As one guy put it "You can put your cigarette out in it,
> but if you hit it with a hammer it'll explode."  Top fuelers mix it with
> methanol to dilute it down to their desired power level according to
> atmospheric conditions.

  Um, no.

  It is a monopropellant, but it's not in any way explosive, though it
is, of course, quite flammable.

  Nitromethane burns more slowly than gasoline/air mixtures, so
accelerants are often blended in to adjust the shape of the pressure
curve during combustion.  Acceleration in normal combustion is most
easily done by adding hydrogen.  A convenience and available form of
hydrogen is hydrazine, which acclerates things quite nicely.  However,
it doesn't take much to accelerate combustion until you get detonation,
at which point you're headed for engine failure.

  There are various standard references; *the* reference is "Combustion"
by Glassman.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dave Williams)==============================
== waiting, anticipating / for someone to save her soul / well, I ==