http://www.enn.com/news/2004-03-10/s_13807.asp

Power giants agree to report climate emissions to shareholders

Wednesday, March 10, 2004

By GreenBiz.com

NEW YORK, New York - In response to shareholder proposals for greater
transparency on how companies are planning for potential constraints
on carbon dioxide and other emissions, electric power giants American
Electric Power and Cinergy have agreed to report publicly about on
how they are responding to growing pressure to reduce greenhouse gas
and other emissions.

The company reports will assess the impacts of and potential
proposals in Congress and existing state legislation to limit carbon
dioxide and other emissions. Both companies agreed to the
shareholders' request that a committee of independent directors
oversee the report. As a result, shareholders will withdraw
resolutions facing the two companies.

The resolutions focus on the potential risks to shareholders posed by
the company's CO2 emissions, the primary greenhouse gas linked to
global warming. The resolutions' proponents believe that the public
reports to shareholders, which were agreed to by AEP and Cinergy
following discussions with the investors, will raise the benchmark
for disclosure of and action on climate change risks. They heralded
the decisions as precedent-setting.

"These landmark agreements are an important milestone for
shareholders, one that we hope will be emulated by corporate leaders
across this industry, and across many industries," said Denise
Nappier, treasurer of Connecticut. "The consequences for companies
that do not act responsibly and take steps to assess and mitigate
risks posed by climate change can be just as devastating to
shareholders as the corporate scandals of the past few years. We look
forward to reports that will provide shareholders with essential
information we need to make informed investment decisions."

Bill Somplatsky-Jarman, associate for Mission Responsibility Through
Investment, Presbyterian Church, said, "Shareholders have been
raising this issue since the early 1990s, so it's significant that
we're working together to cooperate on an action plan. Cinergy made a
forward-looking announcement last year with their pledge to reduce
emissions; we're hoping that this report will also be a leading
example of risk assessment and disclosure that can be taken up by
other companies."

The resolutions were filed at American Electric Power by Connecticut
Retirement Plans and Trust Funds and cofiled by Christian Brothers
Investment Services, Trillium Asset Management, Board of Pensions of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, The Pension
Boards - United Church of Christ, and the United Church Foundation
and at Cinergy Corp. by the Presbyterian Church (USA).

Similar resolutions have been filed at additional electric utilities
and other companies by shareholders associated with the Interfaith
Center on Corporate Responsibility (ICCR), a coalition of 275
religious institutional investors, and CERES, a coalition of
investors and environmental groups. Both companies expressed their
willingness to work collaboratively with the shareholders on
addressing the emissions issue.

American Electric Power agreed to print the resolution in its proxy,
with a statement describing the company's decision to "accept and
comply" with the resolution. The proxy statement will also outline
the parameters of the company's report. Cinergy will describe the
collaborative effort on the report in the letter to shareholders in
its 2003 annual report.

Dale Heydlauff, senior vice president of Governmental and
Environmental Affairs, AEP, said, "We reviewed their proposal and
concluded that their request for an emissions assessment and report
was reasonable. We view it as consistent with the hard work we are
doing to make environmental improvements while keeping our power
plants competitive."

Meanwhile, at Cinergy, Jim Rogers, CEO, said, "Cinergy has undertaken
several initiatives to establish its leadership in social and
environmental policy. We are partnering with Environmental Defense on
our greenhouse gas emissions reduction pledge and we are delighted to
join with the Mission Responsibility Through Investment to produce
another effective collaborative process on these crucial public
policy matters."

The agreements come on the heels of increasing pressure on the
electric power industry to address the issue of coming carbon
constraints. Similar resolutions last year garnered the support of
Institutional Shareholder Services, a group that advises
institutional investors on proxy voting, resulting in record high
votes - an average 23 percent vote in favor - with 27 percent of
shareholders voting for such disclosure at American Electric Power.
Although last year's resolution was successfully challenged at the
SEC, Cinergy announced in September 2002 that it would reduce its
greenhouse gas emissions 5 percent below 2000 levels by 2010 and
freeze them through 2012.

Source: GreenBiz.com

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511