on 3/12/04 4:21 AM, mfle2001 at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I had 32 litres of oil, in a plastic dustbin.
> I dissolved 224g of lye in 1,280 mls of water,
> and mixed it in to the oil.
>
> Unfortunately despite leaving it 24 hours I
> don't seem to have any separation of oil and
> soapstock - it just seems to be one horrible
> gluggy mass.

Try slowly pouring a liter of your mix into
10 liters of very hot water. Mix gently.
Clean oil should float to the top, where you
can scoop it off. You might be able to repeat
the process a few times with the same batch of
water before it gets too soapy.

The oil you recover from this first stage will
probably need a second stage (all over again with
fresh hot water) to completely remove all the soap.

This extravagant use of water has always plagued
the caustic refining process, which is why it is
gradually being phased out in favor of other
approaches. Centrifuging helps, but is generally
beyond the abilities and budget of the garage
producer.

Why don't you try an acid esterification step
first, when you can't avoid using that oil?

-K