Hi Mike

>Hi Ken,
>
>Yes, it probably was pretty stupid to deacidify a lot of it, I usually do
>test new things on a small scale, but it sounded fairly straightforward so
>I was probably overconfident. I did stir it gently, by hand using a piece
>of plastic pipe for about 4 mins, but it was difficult to tell if it was
>mixed because the oil was pretty thick at room temperature.
>
>I'll try a half litre in a bottle - am wondering if  it might be better to
>warm it a little just until its liquid?

Definitely - hard to mix it well if it's not liquid enough. Just hot
enough so it flows easily should be enough.

Try half a litre or a litre in a PET bottle (then you can see what's
happening also) and see how gently you can do it. Don't shake the
bottle, turn it and tip it rather. It definitely does work, might
need a bit of practice to get the hang of it.

>I'd like to use the acid - base (foolproof) method, but I have not yet
>managed to obtain the conc sulphuric acid.

It's pretty common, any chemical supplier should do. Or ask the local
school where they get their lab supplies. If you manage to get half a
litre the unit price might seem high, but that'll make you 500 litres
and give you time to find a cheaper bulk source. Remember you only
need 95-97%, cheaper than 99%.

Best wishes

Keith