hi Mark!

    we haven't had any problems getting more oil than we can currently use
from restaurants that we frequent; it probably doesn't hurt that these places
already know us as their customers (and that my SO seems to be able to makes
friends of most anyone she meets!), but we've found that most of the places
we've asked have been more than happy to help give us something that they
consider waste when they hear about what our plans are for it. i've even
heard stories of people that get *fed* by the restaurants whose oil they
gather out of the restaurants "gratitude for them disposing of their waste
oil"... now *that's* a deal!  ;-)
    our primary source was happy to put their WVO back in the original
containers for us, making it easier for us to handle. the side benefit to
this is that it gives us a good idea of what kind of oil it might be in case
they change.
    contrary to what i'd heard, all of the places we've talked with here
about gathering WVO from have set-price contracts for their oil disposal and
the disposal service picks up periodically; one place we talked to doesn't
even pay to have theirs disposed of at all, saying their disposal service
just picks it up. (apparently it has some value to someone, eh? i have to
wonder if they're also BioDieselers...?) another place told us that they had
people call up and ask for their WVO after we'd already made arrangements to
pick it up! we're in Berkeley, where BioD isn't such a foreign concept, and
AAMOF seems to be gaining in popularity.

    for what it's worth, friends of ours who own a Chinese restaurant have
warned us off of using their oil saying it's "too dirty" by the time they get
done with it! interesting, eh?
    the owner of one Japanese restaurant we know has already advised us that
another Chinese restaurant next door to them often takes the waste oil from
the Japanese restaurant for use in their own kitchen because it's still
"clean enough" for their purposes...    =8-0

    i'd probably do titration and water content testing on samples from all
potential sources just to see where they all fall out, but at this point i
think if i ever use more oil than i can get from our current primary source,
i'm not going to go looking at a Chinese restaurant as my first choice...
;-*

cheers!