>I finally took the step of making a test batch of biodiesel. At least I
>have attempted to mix teh methoxide. I bought a bottle of HEET gas line
>antifreeze which is reportedly of a high enough purity to use, and a jar
>of red devil lye. I mixed about 7 grams of lye to a bit better than 300Ml
>of Methanol. How long before I have useable methoxide? IO tried looking
>at Keith's site, but apparently its down tonight or else my browser is
>having trouble recognizing it. Can you all help me? Thanks!
>J.D.

Hello J.D.

Our site was down, it's back now, sorry. See:
Mixing the methoxide
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#methmix

... and also I think other sections at the "Make your own biodiesel"
pages. The full ToC is below.

Couple of questions though.

Are you using virgin oil for your first test batch? What quantity? If
not virgin oil, what oil? (Best to start with virgin oil.)

These measures seem strange:

>of red devil lye. I mixed about 7 grams of lye to a bit better than 300Ml
>of Methanol.

7 grams of lye would either be for two litres of virgin oil or for
one litre of WVO titrating at 3.5ml. How did you weigh the lye? Two
litres of virgin oil would take 400 ml of methanol, one litre of WVO
would take 200 ml of methanol. Could you explain?

These don't bode well J.D.: "about", "a bit better than". It really
pays to try to be as precise and meticulous as possible, especially
at the beginning. Later when you're more experienced and have a feel
for it you'll know which short-cuts you can take wihout risk, or too
much risk. At the beginning you're dealing with unknowns. If it
doesn't work out as expected, knowing that you've done your best to
be precise with measurements and process control will be a great help
in trying to figure out what went wrong. Otherwise you'll be faced
with too many variables and you'll flounder.

Best

Keith

Make your own biodiesel
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html
Three choices
1. Mixing it
2. Straight vegetable oil
3. Biodiesel
Biodiesel
Where do I start?
What's next?
The process
Our first biodiesel
Biodiesel from new oil
Biodiesel from waste oil
Washing
Using biodiesel
Safety
How much methanol?
Ethyl esters -- making ethanol biodiesel
Reclaiming excess methanol
More about lye
How much lye to use?
Basic titration