>>I finally took the step of making a test batch of biodiesel. At least I
>>have attempted to mix teh methoxide. I bought a bottle of HEET gas line
>>antifreeze which is reportedly of a high enough purity to use, and a jar
>>of red devil lye. I mixed about 7 grams of lye to a bit better than 300Ml
>>of Methanol. How long before I have useable methoxide? IO tried looking
>>at Keith's site, but apparently its down tonight or else my browser is
>>having trouble recognizing it. Can you all help me? Thanks!
>>J.D.
>
> Hello J.D.
>
> Our site was down, it's back now, sorry. See:
> Mixing the methoxide
> http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#methmix
>
> ... and also I think other sections at the "Make your own biodiesel"
> pages. The full ToC is below.
>
> Couple of questions though.
>
> Are you using virgin oil for your first test batch? What quantity? If
> not virgin oil, what oil? (Best to start with virgin oil.)
>
> These measures seem strange:
>
>>of red devil lye. I mixed about 7 grams of lye to a bit better than 300Ml
>>of Methanol.
>
> 7 grams of lye would either be for two litres of virgin oil or for
> one litre of WVO titrating at 3.5ml. How did you weigh the lye? Two
> litres of virgin oil would take 400 ml of methanol, one litre of WVO
> would take 200 ml of methanol. Could you explain?
>
> These don't bode well J.D.: "about", "a bit better than". It really
> pays to try to be as precise and meticulous as possible, especially
> at the beginning. Later when you're more experienced and have a feel
> for it you'll know which short-cuts you can take wihout risk, or too
> much risk. At the beginning you're dealing with unknowns. If it
> doesn't work out as expected, knowing that you've done your best to
> be precise with measurements and process control will be a great help
> in trying to figure out what went wrong. Otherwise you'll be faced
> with too many variables and you'll flounder.
>
> Best
>
> Keith
>

> Make your own biodiesel
> http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html
> Three choices
> 1. Mixing it
> 2. Straight vegetable oil
> 3. Biodiesel
> Biodiesel
> Where do I start?
> What's next?
> The process
> Our first biodiesel
> Biodiesel from new oil
> Biodiesel from waste oil
> Washing
> Using biodiesel
> Safety
> How much methanol?
> Ethyl esters -- making ethanol biodiesel
> Reclaiming excess methanol
> More about lye
> How much lye to use?
> Basic titration
> Better titration
> [...]
soapy to use.  I did use virgin oil on this batch and probably will
again or some clean wvo. And I'll be more precise with my measurements.
i think I used too much lye and that caused too much saponification.
I'll let you all know how batch No 2 comes off tonight.
J.D.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511