Volkswagen has released the Touareg TDI in this country, finally.
I'm not in the market to spend $62,000 on something that won't get
me where I'm going any better than my Beetle TDI, but if you're
still in the market for an SUV...

Brian

--- In biofuel@yahoogroups.com, "Eva Pierce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I used to (before I discovered biodiesel) tell everyone I knew
that when
> they came out with a hybrid SUV I'd buy one. So. On the hybrid
pickup.
> woohoo!... a step in the right direction. but. 10 to 12 percent
more
> efficient? Seems like a pretty small step - for example, given
that gas
> prices where I live went up at least 20 percent in the last couple
months.

> However, every step, however small, towards cleaner air and reduced
> dependency on foreign oil counts.
>

>   _____

Renewable
> Energy (EERE).
>
> May 05, 2004
>
>   #news News and Events
>
>   #6836 GM Delivers the World's First Full-Sized Hybrid Pickup
>   #6837 U.S. Hybrid Vehicle Registrations and Sales on the Increase
>   #6838 Technologies to Boost the Fuel Efficiency of Cars and
Planes
>   #6839 University of Victoria Wins Hydrogen Fueling Design Contest
>   #6840 Canadian Company Starts Production of Ethanol from
Cellulose
>   #6841 New England Grid Operator Awards Energy Efficiency Contract
>
>   #site Site News
>
> Treepower.org
>
>   #energy Energy Connections
>
> EPA: No Change in U.S. Fuel Economy in 2004
>

> News and Events
>
> GM Delivers the World's First Full-Sized Hybrid Pickup
>
> General Motors Corporation (GM) delivered its first commercial
> hybrid-electric vehicle on Monday, presenting the first Chevrolet
> Silverado hybrid pickup to Miami-Dade County in Florida. The
vehicle
> is the first full-sized hybrid pickup in the world, achieving a
fuel
> economy that is 10 to 12 percent higher than GM's other half-ton
> pickups. GM also takes advantage of the truck's electrical
generator,
> providing four auxiliary power outlets under the rear seat of the
cab
> for use in powering tools and other accessories. By the end of
May,
> GM will deliver a total of 50 Silverado hybrid pickups to Miami-
Dade
target=http://image.eme
> rald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=3&docid=3640
GM
> press release.
>

> A look under the hood of the Ford Escape Hybrid.
> Credit: Ford Motor Company
>
> GM delivered its new hybrid vehicle during the 10th National Clean
> Cities Conference and Expo, now taking place in Fort Lauderdale,
> Florida. DOE's Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
> (EERE) and the Gold Coast Clean Cities Coalition are hosting this
> year's event, which EERE marked in part by launching a revised Web
> site for its Clean Cities Program. The revised Web site provides
> simple, intuitive access to information about the program, and
> reflects the looks and feel of the EERE Web site. See the
> http://www.eere.energy.gov/cleancities/ Clean Cities Program Web
site
> and the
> http://www.eere.energy.gov/cleancities/conference/lauderdale/
> conference Web site.
>
> Meanwhile, Ford Motor Company is preparing to start selling its
> Escape Hybrid sport utility vehicle in late summer. Ford expects
the
> front-wheel-drive version to achieve 35 to 40 miles per gallon in
> city driving. See the updated
> http://www.fordvehicles.com/escapehybrid/home/index.asp Escape
Hybrid
> Web site.
>
> U.S. Hybrid Vehicle Registrations and Sales on the Increase
>
> The number of hybrid electric vehicles registered in the United
> States increased nearly 26 percent in 2003 to a total of 43,435,
> according to R.L. Polk & Co., a provider of automotive marketing
> data. The Polk report, released in late April, found that the
Honda
http://www.polk.com/news/releases/2004_0422.asp
> R.L. Polk press release.
>
> This year, U.S. sales of hybrids are continuing to climb, and
Toyota
> appears to be passing Honda by. American Honda sold a record 3,041
> Civic Hybrids in April and has sold 9,023 Civic Hybrids since the
> start of this year, an increase of 10.9 percent over last year's
> sales. Meanwhile, Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A., Inc. sold 3,684
Priuses
> in April and 13,602 since the start of this year, an increase of
78.1
> percent over last year's sales. See the press releases from
> http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?
id=2004
> 0503 Toyota and
> http://www.hondanews.com/CatID1000?mid=2004050352054
> <http://www.hondanews.com/CatID1000?mid=2004050352054&mime=asc>
&mime=asc
> Honda.
>
> Technologies to Boost the Fuel Efficiency of Cars and Planes
>
> While General Motors Corporation (GM) and Ford Motor Company are
> entering the hybrid vehicle market, they continue pursuing other
> technologies that will also yield improvements in gasoline
mileage.
> Notably, the two companies announced in late April that they are
> investing $720 million to build a six-speed, front-wheel-drive,
> automatic transmission. The new six-speed transmission is expected
> offer up to four percent better gas mileage compared to today's
> four-speed transmissions, according to the automakers. Starting in
> 2006, the new transmissions will be built at a GM plant in Warren,
> Michigan, and at Ford plants in Sterling Heights, Michigan, and
> Sharonville, Ohio. In November, Ford also announced a $155-million
> investment in its Sharonville plant to build rear-drive six-speed
> automatic transmissions there. See the
> http://www.media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?
target=http://image.eme
> rald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=3&docid=3234
GM
> press release.
>

> An artist's concept of Boeing's new 7E7 jetliner.
> Credit: Boeing Company
>
> Fuel efficiency improvements are also coming to jetliners, as
Boeing
> Company has launched its new energy-efficiency 7E7 Dreamliner
> passenger jet. According to Boeing, the 7E7 uses 15 to 20 percent
> less fuel than today's airplanes of comparable size. Boeing
achieved
> the fuel savings using lightweight, fuel-efficient engines;
improved
> aerodynamics; smaller, lighter wings; and more efficient on-board
> systems. Japan's ANA (All Nippon Airlines) has ordered 50 of the
new
> jets from Boeing. See the
> http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2004/q2/nr_040426g.html Boeing
> press release and
> http://www.newairplane.com/USA/efficient_rollover.htm 7E7 Web site.
>
> University of Victoria Wins Hydrogen Fueling Design Contest
>
> Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham announced last week that the
> University of Victoria from British Columbia, Canada, is the grand
> prize winner of the first Hydrogen Fueling Station Design Contest.
> The University of California, Davis came in a close second in the
> contest, which was sponsored by DOE, the National Hydrogen
> Association (NHA), ChevronTexaco, Natural Resources Canada, and
> Swagelok Company. Seventeen teams from universities in the United
> States and Canada participated in the competition, which
challenged
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/alternate.html
> Download Acrobat Reader.
>
> The NHA is requesting suggestions for next year's contest, which
will
> be called "H2U." See the  http://www.h2ucontest.org/ preliminary
H2U
> Web site.
>
> DOE also challenged high school students on Saturday to design and
> build hydrogen-powered model cars. Using fuel cells and other
> components provided by General Motors Corporation, and with
technical
> assistance from DOE engineers, 16 high school teams built model
cars
> and competed in a speed race and a hill-climbing competition.
> University High School of Morgantown, West Virginia, took first
place
> in the speed race and Chaska High School of Chaska, Minnesota,
> conquered a 48-degree incline to become "King of the Hill." The
teams
> were drawn from finalists in the National Science Bowl, a national
> competition among high school students to answer increasingly
> difficult questions about science. This year, 64 teams visited
> Washington, D.C., as finalists after winning regional competitions
in
> which 1,800 schools participated. On Monday, Thomas Jefferson High
> School of Alexandria, Virginia, took the first prize for the third
> consecutive year. See the DOE press releases from
> http://www.energy.gov/engine/content.do?PUBLIC_ID=15780
> <http://www.energy.gov/engine/content.do?
PUBLIC_ID=15780&BT_CODE=PR_PRE>
> &BT_CODE=PR_PRE
> SSRELEASES&TT_CODE=PRESSRELEASE May 1st and
> http://www.energy.gov/engine/content.do?PUBLIC_ID=15782
> <http://www.energy.gov/engine/content.do?
PUBLIC_ID=15782&BT_CODE=PR_PRE>
> &BT_CODE=PR_PRE
> SSRELEASES&TT_CODE=PRESSRELEASE May 3rd.
>
> Canadian Company Starts Production of Ethanol from Cellulose
>
> Ethanol fuel is now being produced from cellulose and sold for
> commercial use by Iogen Corporation, the Canadian-based company
> announced in late April. Ethanol is currently produced from
starchy
> grains such as corn, but cellulose ethanol is produced from more
> "woody" agricultural byproducts, such as straw, corn cobs, and
corn
> stalks, which are often discarded as waste. Iogen is producing its
> cellulose ethanol at a demonstration plant, but claims to be in
the
> process of finalizing locations for a full-scale commercial plant.
> The Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO) hailed the
achievement
> as a "key breakthrough." See the press releases from
> http://www.iogen.ca/HTML2/news/04_21_2004.html Iogen and
> http://www.bio.org/newsroom/newsitem.asp?id=2004_0422_01 BIO.
>
> DOE is also supporting research and development in cellulose
ethanol.
> In late April, Novozymes A/S announced that it has cut the cost of
> the enzymes needed for producing ethanol from cellulose by a
factor
> of 20. The gains were achieved in part by Novozymes' advances in
> enzyme technologies, and in part by improved pre-treatment
processes
> for corn wastes that were developed by DOE's National Renewable
> Energy Laboratory (NREL). The new pre-treatment process allows the
> use of fewer enzymes per gallon of ethanol produced. See the
> http://www.novozymes.com/cgi-bin/bvisapi.dll/press/press.jsp?
id=28895
> <http://www.novozymes.com/cgi-bin/bvisapi.dll/press/press.jsp?
id=28895&> &
> lang=en Novozymes press release.
>
> Meanwhile, the traditional ethanol fuel industry continues to
grow.
> In February and March, two new ethanol plants started production
in
> Iowa-one near Hanlontown and one near Ashton. Annually, each plant
> will convert more than 16 million bushels of corn into 45 million
> gallons of ethanol. Construction began on another new plant near
> Emmetsburg, Iowa, in late April, so the state currently has 12
> operating ethanol plants and 5 under construction. Nationwide, 75
> ethanol plants are now operating and are able to produce more than
> 3.2 billion gallons of ethanol per year. The thirteen plants now
> under construction will add another 500 million gallons in
production
> capacity. With new plants coming on line, the industry breaks its
> production records each month; in February, the industry produced
> record 212,000 barrels of ethanol each day. See the Renewable
Fuels
> Association press releases from
> http://www.ethanolrfa.org/pr040227.html February 27th,
> http://www.ethanolrfa.org/pr040326.html March 26th,
> http://www.ethanolrfa.org/pr040426.html April 26th, and
> http://www.ethanolrfa.org/pr040427.html April 27th.
>
> New England Grid Operator Awards Energy Efficiency Contract
>
> ISO New England Inc., the operator of the region's electrical
grid,
> took an unusual step in late April by contracting for energy
> efficiency services in order to improve the reliability of its
power
> grid in southwest Connecticut. Under the new contract,
Conservation
> Services Group (CSG) will help reduce energy demand in southwest
> Connecticut by four megawatts over the next four years, primarily
by
> retrofitting buildings in the area with energy-efficient lighting.
> The contract is a small part of an effort to secure emergency
energy
> resources for southwest Connecticut, including 125 megawatts of
new
> generating capacity and up to 255 megawatts of demand-response
> resources such as emergency generators and voluntary load
reductions.
> ISO New England predicts that it has adequate electrical supplies
for
> the region this summer, but continues to be concerned about
> transmission constraints that threaten reliability in southwest
> Connecticut. See the CSG press release (
> http://www.csgrp.com/images/pdf_press_releases/CSGCT.pdf PDF 83
KB)
> and the April 16th and April 26th press releases from
> http://www.iso-ne.com/iso_news/newnews.html ISO New England.
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/alternate.html Download
Acrobat
> Reader.
>
> Utilities in the Pacific Northwest are also looking at demand
> reduction as a possible alternative to building a new transmission
> line. DOE's Bonneville Power Administration (BPA) recently worked
> with a Washington state utility, two paper companies, and the U.S.
> Navy to test an Internet-based trading system for demand
reduction.
> During the test, BPA posted an hourly price per megawatt, allowing
> the participants to choose whether to buy the power or to place
bids
> for reducing their power demand, using either emergency generation
or
> load reductions. BPA hoped to achieve 10 to 20 megawatts of demand
> reduction during the test, and actually averaged 22 megawatts of
> demand reduction. See the
> http://www.bpa.gov/corporate/BPAnews/2004/NewsRelease.cfm?
ReleaseNo=49
> 2 BPA press release.
>

> Site News
>
>   http://www.treepower.org/ Treepower.org
>
> Treepower.org is a public and industry research partnership in
which
> the Common Purpose Institute, the University of Florida, energy
> companies, and others are studying ways to grow and harvest
> fast-growing trees as a renewable energy fuel source for electric
> utilities in the southeastern United States. The Web site details
> Florida project that uses biomass energy "bridge crops" for
renewable
> energy and to restore native habitats on damaged, mined lands. The
> site contains project- and state-specific information as well as
> general biomass energy information and resources.
>

> Energy Connections
>
> EPA: No Change in U.S. Fuel Economy in 2004
>
> The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced last week
> that the average gas mileage of new cars, pickups, and sport
utility
> vehicles (SUVs) sold in the United States is 20.8 miles per gallon
> (MPG) for 2004, essentially equal to last year's value of 20.7
MPG.
> According to EPA's annual fuel economy trends report, U.S. fuel
> economy has held roughly steady since 1997, varying only between
20.6
> and 20.9 MPG. U.S. fuel economy peaked at 22.1 MPG in the late
1980s,
> but since then the fuel efficiency of cars, pickups, and SUVs has
> remain unchanged, while sales of the less-fuel-efficient pickups
and
> SUVs have increased. In 2004, the EPA estimates that 48 percent of
> new light-duty vehicles sold in the United States will be either
> pickups or SUVs. See the EPA press release and the full report on
the
> http://www.epa.gov/otaq/fetrends.htm EPA Web site.
>

> This newsletter is funded by DOE's  http://www.eere.energy.gov/
> Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) and is
also
> available on the  http://www.eere.energy.gov/news/ EERE news page.
> You can  http://www.eere.energy.gov/news/about.cfm subscribe to
the
> EERE Network News using our simple online form, and you can also
> http://www.eere.energy.gov/news/changes.cfm update your email
address
> or  http://www.eere.energy.gov/news/unsubscribe.cfm unsubscribe
> online.
>
> If you have questions or comments about this newsletter, please
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] contact the editor, Kevin Eber, at
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> You are currently subscribed as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Biofuels list archives:

> To unsubscribe, send an email to:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor