>Does anyone have an idea of  the  percentage of world
>wide food production that is dependent on oil and gas?
>James

Hello Keith

Difficult question to answer. Even getting a good handle on world
wide food production itself isn't that easy. There are figures of
course, but often they turn out to mean not quite what they seemed to
mean. Would you class mainstream grain production as "food", even
though most of it's fed to livestock, or would just the livestock
products be food, or both?
What I'm trying to get a feel for is the percentage of
humanity that relies on industrial agriculture and where
they are. I think that regarding grain the vast bulk
eventually ends up inside people in some form or other, so
I'd be inclined to count all as food - or perhaps try to
identify other uses as a percentage of the total and deduct.
So what else is grain used for? Cosmetics? Cleaning
products? Pharmaceuticals?  I've no idea in fact.
How about the maize that gets turned into
high-fructose corn syrup and scattered throughout the industrialised
processed food supply? Is that food?
 I'd say yes, assuming that most of it ends up in human
stomachs.
  If "food" is what people
actually eat, then there are a great many people who depend on food
production that doesn't appear in the production figures, like the
very large numbers fed by city farms for instance.
Subsistence farms also often get left out, or they lie about their
production (if they have any sense, which they do). Food security
data gives a better idea of this than production figures do.

Yes, and what I'm reflecting is that  as the prices of oil  and
food rise it will be the developed world that suffers most.
Perhaps there is a little justice in the world after all.
There
are a couple of approaches I can think of. I'd like to know that
answer too, and if I checked it out I could nail down a few other
things I'd like to know, or like to know better. I'll try to have a
look at it in the next few days.
Look forward to that.
Best wishes
James