Hello Angus

>Keith,
>   Now I understand the slow method of Methoxide addition, thanks.
>You mention that the process takes about 6 minutes or so to add the
>methoxide, does that mean it drips onto the top of the mixture in
>the mix tank?

Dripping would be much too slow (1 ml = about 20 drops). It descends
in a steady stream a few millimetres thick, landing on the surface a
few inches off-centre. It gets nicely mixed with the oil coming in
from the rose, which rains down over the whole surface area.
Otherwise the methanol/methoxide tends to float about on top before
it gets mixed. Or so I've observed when using a stirrer instead of a
pump, I'm not sure what happens with a pump without the rose. I'm
sure it'll still get mixed okay, but I don't know how fast or how
evenly. I can't say which is best, I can say this works very nicely.
If your processor happens to have a removable top, of course.

>You sound like you have made a lot so I am going to follow your pattern

I didn't mean to persuade you, I was just offering an alternative. I
really can't say which method is "better", but I'd guess that neither
is inherently better, it would depend on individual circumstances and
preferences. As with most things perhaps. I'm sorry if my responses
to Linden have made it seem otherwise. I shouldn't have been put in
that position, and didn't want to say our way is better, I do hope it
didn't come across as sounding like I did.

>but using 44 gallon drums (easier for me to get for free)

Should be fine, and those pumps are used for that size of processor.
You're using English gallons, that's 55 US gallons, or 200 litres.

>and just wanted to know how to minimise any splash of methoxide or
>sulhpuric acid (I plan on using the two stage process).

If you haven't made biodiesel before, please see my reply to Jerome,
"Re: France and legislation", on using the Foolproof process.
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/35625/

>I notice (and envy) the shower rose for the return from the pump,
>would it be just as good to have it returning just under the level
>of the mix tank so as to minimise splashing.

Hm. I don't know, didn't think of that. I'm not against splashing,
depends how much. I did put the rose in there to minimise splashing,
but also to distribute the incoming stuff evenly over the whole
surface area, as above. It still splashes a little, as raindrops do
when they hit puddles, but not so it matters, and I sort of value the
mixing effect that way.

Please let us know how you get along.

Best wishes

Keith