I'm new to the list and this was my first posting so maybe I need to pose
this a different way. I'm very interested in the potential widespread impact
of biodiesel on U.S. fuel demand. The recent extension of tax credits
previously enjoyed by ethanol should spur a significant increase in demand
for biodiesel. Combined with no engine retrofit it becomes an easy way for
mainstream people to begin to actively do something about managing their
energy use.

Obstacles like the VW America difference of opinion on the ASTM spec versus
the German DIN spec will only hold back adoption. Getting VW to agree to the
U.S. standard or improving the quality of U.S. mass produced fuel is key.
They are the only passenger car manufacturer actively promoting diesel
engines and have the most diesel cars on the road. The 2006 Chrysler Jeep
Liberty holds some promise as it will be the first non-truck U.S. diesel
delivered with a biodiesel blend (even if it's only B5). I haven't seen any
releases on the Biodiesel Board website on any efforts to work with the the
vehicle manufacturers to work through these issues. Has anyone heard
anything on this? The best source I've found is on the NAFTC website which
is also a good source for links to a variety of alternative fuel web
resources.

http://www.nationalafvdayodyssey.org/links/automanufacturers.htm

The old guard here is still protecting the petrol dominant stance in the
U.S. (assisted by an oil man at the top of course). This is disconcerting
since I'm used to a more innovation oriented push. The U.S. is so far behind
the curve compared to what's been achieved in Europe. With accelerating
demand for oil worldwide (China especially) economics will take over and
continue to drive up prices. An energy conservation oriented mindset must
somehow take hold. The excessive waste of energy in the U.S. is beyond
comprehension. Something has to give and biodiesel combined with
conservation is a good place to start.

Mike