Hello Keith,

>Kind of basic questions.
>
>I doubt you'll find much of the really essential mushrooms growing in
>any corn or any other type of field associated with ADM, ie the
>mycorrhizal fungi. That's probably a good place of start. If you get
>that right you'll probably get everyhing else right too, and if you
>don't you won't, no matter what else you do. Start here:
>
>"Trees and Toadstools" by M.C. Rayner, D.Sc., Faber and Faber, 1945.
>Dr Rayner can be credited with putting the mycorrhizal association on
>the agricultural map. Mycorrhizas are fungus-roots, a symbiotic
>relationship between plant roots and friendly soil fungi without
>which most plants cannot thrive, while many cannot even survive
>without their fungal partners. The fungus actually feeds the plant,
>and in return the plant feeds the fungus the products of the green
>leaf which the fungus is unable to make for itself. Enhanced by good
>humus maintenance and often damaged by chemical fertilizers and
>pesticides, the mycorrhizal association is fundamental to why organic
>growing works.
>http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library.html#rayner
>
>Full text online.
>
>Best wishes
>
>Keith

Basic questions indeed, but I'm still seeking to hear about people's
real life experiences with farming the fuel in polyculture. Haven't
heard much on that level though I know it's here.

My question on mushrooms was more directed toward saprophytic fungi,
though hearing about what mycorrhizal fungi biofuel farmers are
incorporating, if any, would be interesting. Of course it is not likely
that there is much of anything living and non-corn present in the soil
of ADM fields--they apply heavy fungicides, herbicides, pesticides, etc.
But as a sustainable agriculture enthusiast, I can venture to guess that
by allowing the biodiversity to expand in their fields, ADM could
increase the resilience of their systems, cut costs on chemical inputs,
increase and diversify yields, and end up with slightly more fertile
soil. Imagine a basic study such as a comparison of (1) a conventional
monoculture corn field with (2) an organic and fungi-inoculated
monoculture corn field with (3) an organic and fungi inoculated
polyculture of corn-beans-squash. Is a study like that of any use or is
it redundant? What would entice ADM to try more ecologically sound
methods? I would think that economic feasibility and increased profits
may be their jargon.

I appreciate your comments.

- Dave